Latest Hot Button Top 10: It's NFL Draft Week in America! (Pandemic Edition); plus new Greg Cote Show Episode 8 podcast out now!, our annual Mock Draft drops today, Radio Tuesday, recent column links & more
1) It's TUESDAY, APRIL 21. Hang in, stay apart and eventually we rise together! 2) Our Greg Cote Show podcast is now separately on Twitter and Instagram! Follow the show on both platforms at TheGregCoteShow. 3) Find our latest Back In My Day from the Le Batard Show on ESPN Radio HERE. 4) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Dolphins GM Grier's pre-draft Zoom, why Tua and coronavirus make this weirdest draft ever, Greg Cote Show podcast & more. 5) Join us on Twitter.com/gregcote and Instagram.
It's Radio Zoom-Room Tuesday!: I'm back remotely on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz today from 10 to 1 on ESPN Radio. Also listen for the local-only hour linked from the show social media accounts.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: EPISODE 8 OUT NOW: Our new(ish) Miami Herald podcast, "The Greg Cote Show With Greg Cote," debuted in early March and Episode 8 is out Monday morning! You can find a new Greg Cote Show out every Monday on Apple, Spotify or wherever you do your podding, and of course at MiamiHerald.com. Find all eight episodes we've done so far right here. Please listen, subscribe, rate and review! Our podcast is a variety show, sports and non-sports, 3-0-5 and national, fun and (when necessary) serious. In Episode 8 we take a deep dive into Dolphins and NFL Draft with ESPN Fins reporter Cameron Wolfe, and, in Stugotz 2.0, he talks Grateful Dead and shares something you didn't know about Dan Le Batard. Check it out now HERE!
Our annual Mock Draft is almost here!: Look for our 29th annual Official Miami Herald NFL Mock Draft online beginning late Tuesday, and in Thursday's print editions.
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (APRIL 19-20): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the (non)sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. This week's HB10:
1. DOLPHINS: Only four days 'til Miami selects [fill in the blank]: The NFL Draft begins Thursday night with the Fins holding the fifth, 18th and 26th picks in the first round -- but will it be Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert or a surprise to Miami at No. 5? In this case "surprise" is defined as, "What!? They didn't take a quarterback first!? You've got to be @#$%ing kidding me!" Tua, by the way, is reported to have scored a very low 13 on the Wonderlic intelligence test given all draft prospects. No worry. He's being hired to throw a football, not to explain the quantum physics of how atoms work.
2. NFL: Draft is on as scheduled ... but hardly as usual: Joe Burrow expected to go No. 1 overall to Cincy hasn't changed and the dates are the same. But nothing else is. The seven-round draft is Thursday through Saturday, but commissioner Roger Goodell will be reading picks from his home in New York, teams will be making them from their own cities, and players will be spread across the country in their living rooms -- all of it televised via videos. Welcome to the Bizarro World, Pandemic Edition NFL Draft.
3. CORONAVIRUS: The updated South Florida Games-Lost Tracker: The SFGLT updates you each week on how many local pro sports games have been lost to the coronavirus shutdown. Through today/Sunday -- 58 games lost: Marlins 22, Heat 18, Panthers 13, Inter Miami 5. Marlins have missed first 22 games of regular season. Heat has missed last 17 games of season and would already have hosted first-round playoff game Sunday night, based on NBA standings when season stopped. Panthers missed last 13 season games but would not have made playoffs based on NHL standings at time of stoppage. Inter Miami, after playing first two games of season, has missed last five.
4. ANTHONY FAUCI: Virus expert maps out return of sports: Hugely trusted Dr. Anthony Fauci, America's leading infectious diseases expert and the face of the U.S. coronavirus fight, says this on the foreseeable resumption of sports: "Nobody comes to the stadium. Put [players] in big hotels, wherever you want to play. Have them tested like every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family and just let them play the season out." In other words, it'll be awhile before you're going to games again, Joe Fan.
5. ESPN: Much-touted Jordan docu-series begins Sunday: NBA fans are swooning in anticipation of the 10-part "The Last Dance" series, documenting Michael Jordan and the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls season. I'm not all that excited, but since I get a Disney/ESPN check every week, I think it's going to be greeaat!
6. VON MILLER: Broncos star tested positive for virus: Denver Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller has tested positive for the coronavirus, becoming perhaps the most prominent active sports star to do so.
7. NBA: Ouch. Withheld pay is near: Commissioner Adam Silver said there still is no timetable for a resumption of the season, while the NBA begins reducing player paychecks by 25 percent on May 15. Fellas, let me check my wallet. If things get tight, just ask, OK? In other league news, Utah's Mike Conley won that ridiculous HORSE tournament that I'm proud to say I watched for a grand total of, like, 10 seconds. And the NBA is now selling (of course!) team-logo face coverings.
8. HURRICANES: Mompremier taken in WNBA Draft: Miami's 6-4 power forward Beatrice Mompremier went in the second round, 20th overall to the Los Anegles Sparks -- lower than expected because of a January foot injury that cost her half of her senior season.
9. NASCAR: Rising star Larson fired for racial slur: Chip Ganassi Racing fired budding star Kyle Larson and sponsors dropped him left and right after he was heard using the n-word during a live-streamed virtual race. Unannounced but surely planned: An I'm-truly-sorry tour and an eventual second chance. Meanwhile, NASCAR still hopes to resume no-fans racing in May.
10. GOLF: PGA Tour plots summer return: The PGA Tour is planning a mid-June return with no fans, assuring the look and ambiance of it will have all the excitement of a Tuesday practice round. Meantime, GolfTV reported exclusively that the gum Tiger Woods chews on a golf course is orange-flavored Trident. Run to the store and start hoarding!
Missing the HB10 cut: Our 29th annual Official Miami Herald NFL Mock Draft is coming. Watch for it online Tuesday. OH, and the Greg Cote Show podcast, new Episode 8, is out Monday morning! Please listen, subscribe, rate, review and stay home ..... MLB's Arizona Plan, with all 30 teams playing sans fans in Phoenix, remains the top likelihood. So bizarre ..... Jacksonville mayor Lenny Curry has reopened city beaches, generating a wide range of reaction dominated by, "Jesus, what an idiot!" ..... Please remember to watch your hands often, practice social distancing and keep booing the sign-stealing Astros ..... Update: Countdown now 2,261 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup. Hopefully we're all done with quarantine by then.
FEATURED MOST RECENT OTHER COLUMNS:
Other featured recent columns: NFL Draft, Tiger 'n Phil Not A Good Look Right Now / Ultimate All-Time South Florida Major Sports Trivia Challenge / Sports Should Stop Pretending It Will Resume Anytime Soon As Coronovirus Rages / How a Longtime Herald Sport Writer Came to Own a Top Contender in Saturday's No-Fans Florida Derby / In Midst Of Pandemic, A Horse Race / Time for NBA, NHL to Shut it Down, End Seasons / Backlash Over NBA Coronavirus Testing Mirrors Growing Anxiety, the New National Mood / Le Batard Show Deals with Coronavirus-Related Upheaval / Dolphins' Most Important Rebuilding Is Yet to Come / Brady Leaving Patriots for Tampa. Will Belichick Be Proved Right In Letting Him Go? / Desperate Fans Turn to NFL After Reality Of First Weekend With No Games / Miami Sports Now Utterly Engulfed By Coronavirus Threat -- But Precaution Is Justified / It's Dominate Or Bust For Dolphins GM Grier Over Next 6 Weeks.
Select additional recent columns: Repentant Cheater A-Rod Slams Astros With Lesson On How to Handle Their Own Scandal / Inter Miami Is Market's Sleeping Giant As Home Opener Nears / Beckham, Inter Miami Survive To Finally Reach Opening Week / Jeter Arrives At Camp, Calls Marlins 'Layered With Talent' / Dwyane Wade, His Transgender Daughter And A Lesson In Love / Pressure On Marlins for Big Improvement Now -- and It's About Time / It's Time For Anonymous Lone Voter Who Denied Jeter To Step Forward / Heat And Gloriously Impatient Riley Win In Trade For Iguodala / Return Of Ed Reed, Even If Mostly Symbolic, Leads Surge By Canes Football / Poor Dolphins Finally Getting Rid Of Brady Only to Have Mahomes Take His Place / Our two-part series: How One Man Long Forgotten Changed Everything For the Miami Dolphins and How Shula Made Dolphins Perfect and Made Miami Matter, And the Coach Today at 90 / Kobe's Death Sends Sports World Reeling, But Immortality Is His / Jimmy Johnson's Biggest Triumph? Knowing When To Quit -- And Why / and Announcing Miami Dolphins' 2010-19 All-Decade Team
* * * * *
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors 2018 writing awards ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular co-host on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz on ESPN Radio. Finding Greg Cote: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go and The Ballad Of 1440.