G1: @New England 21, Dolphins 11: Power shift in AFC East? (Not yet). My column off game; plus latest Hot Button Top 10 (updated) as Fins opener, Heat-Celtics vie for top; also, Greg Cote Show podcast new Episode 28 out now & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It's MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14. The Greg Cote Show podcast is now separately on Twitter and Instagram. Follow us on both! 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Canes slap UAB in opener, Chiefs win ushers in NFL season, Your verdict on Greg's Lobos fantasy draft, Greg Cote Show podcast Episode 27 & more. 4) Join us on Twitter and Instagram.
OUR FOOTBALL SPECIAL-SECTION TRIUMVIRATE!: TUA TAGOVAILOA IS DOLPHINS' SAVIOR SENT TO BRING NEW GLORY ... IF PROPHECY IS TRUE / WHO'S SUPER BOWL-BOUND? WHERE DO FINS FALL? OUR 2020 NFL-IN-PANDEMIC TEAM RANKINGS / and FOR MIAMI & AMERICA, HERE COMES A COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON WE'LL NEVER FORGET
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: NEW EPISODE 28 OUT NOW!: Our Miami Herald podcast, "The Greg Cote Show With Greg Cote," debuted in March and new Episode 28 is out now! New episodes drop early every Monday morning on Apple, Spotify, Google, Stitcher, Megaphone, iHeart -- wherever you pod, and of course at MiamiHerald.com. Find all 28 we've done so far RIGHT HERE for free! Please listen, subscribe, rate and review. In Ep28 we get all sportsy -- sportsier than we've ever been. Greg and Chris chew over the Dolphins and Hurricanes season openers with a dash of Marlins and Inter Miami talk. Mostly we dive deep into Heat-Celtics with special guest Amin Elhassan, the ESPN NBA expert. And he makes a bold prediction. Of course there's a new Mount Gregmore, too -- the K's. Here all that and more on the Greg Cote Show podcast now!
G1: @NEW ENGLAND 21, DOLPHINS 11: INTO THE GREAT UNKNOWN...: Visit Dolphins Lose to Pats, But Win With No-Hurry Plan On Tua for my column off Sunday's opener. ..... Original post: The Great Unknown: Football in a pandemic. Tom Brady gone. Dolphins on the rise. AFC East power shift? The finding out starts today at 1 p.m. at a Foxborough Stadium where no fans will attend. History: This is first time since 1999 New England has fielded a team without Brady. In general regard Bill Belichick’s
Patriots have sunk from dynasty to just another mid-pack team with the departure of Brady and all those coronavirus-related opt outs decimating the defense. That’s while the Dolphins, via a stockpile of high draft picks and big spending in free agency, have hugely upgraded their roster. So it’s New England in decline vs. Miami ascending in an evolving AFC East. That’s why I like Fins with the points here and why an outright upset would only mildly surprise. Still an edge to Patriots, though. Those guys are still are tough on D, and a healthy dual-threat Cam Newton, Brady's replacement, is a lot to defend. There’s still that Belichick guy, too. Dolphins should be much improved, but, out the gate, and with no preseason, the Fins’ young offensive line may especially struggle early in the season to protect Ryan Fitzpatrick while rookie Tua Tagovailoa grows unhurried into the starting role. Question for pics at right: Who's postgame cooler: Fitzpatrick or Newton? My pick: Patriots (-6 1/2) over Dolphins, 24-20.
For all of our opening week previews and picks: NFL Week 1 Gems.
[Note to readers: The Dolfan Satisfaction Meter (and Canesfan Satisfaction Meter) postgame polls have retired. After a long and successful run, we are using this weird pandemic season to make a clean break. Thanks to all you many DSM and CSM fans who have participated over the years!]
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (SEPTEMBER 13-14): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. This week's HB10:
1. DOLPHINS: Miami opens 55th season with loss at New England: No Tom Brady. No fans in the stands. After no preseason. Otherwise, Dolphins at Patriots as usual. Is the post-Brady AFC East evolving? Are the improved/improving Dolphins ready to make their move after a bunch of high draft picks and big spending in free agency? Quick answer: Not yet. Patriots 21, Fins 11. And the Year of Waiting For Tua has begun! (Meanwhile, Fins remained in lockerroom during pregame national anthem as a form of protest against racial injustice).
2. HEAT/NBA: Rested Miami to meet rival Boston in Eastern finals: After a shockingly easy 4-1 dispatch of top-seeded Milwaukee making Miami 8-1 this postseason, the Heat watched Friday night as Boston won its semifinal Game 7 over Toronto, 92-87. Game 1 of the Heat-Celtics Eastern finals is Tuesday, with Miami now four wins from reaching its first NBA Finals since 2014. The Lakers reached the West finals on Saturday; Clippers and Denver are 3-3 entering Game 7 Tuesday.
3. HURRICANES: UM ushers in Manny Diaz Year 2 with comfy win: Miami became the first Power 5 conference team to open the 2020 college football season Thursday night with a 31-14 home cruise past UAB (Alabama-Birmingham) of Conference USA, as new QB D'Eriq King debuted with 227 total yards and three TDS. Crowd at The Rock fell well short of the 13,000 max allowed by coronavirus protocols. Based on a low-watt opponent and health concerns, no surprise. Win sent UM rocketing from unranked to No. 17 in The AP Top 25.
4. MARLINS: Fish sweep DH, move past Phillies in playoff chase: Miami shook off the embarrassment of a 29-9 loss to Atlanta -- most runs allowed in an MLB game since 2007. Because there was a playoff race to worry about. Fish swept doubleheader from Phillies Sunday and wrap up an unprecedented seven-game home series with Philly today. Miami at 23-21 is now a half-game ahead of Philadelphia in NL East in chase for a playoff spot.
5. NFL: Brady-Brees 'Old G.O.A.T.s Bowl' tops Week 1 schedule: After Patrick Mahomes and champion Chiefs christened season with a Thursday win, full slate on for Sunday featured Tom Brady's debut in a Tampa Bay Bucs uniform, facing fellow old-timer Drew Brees in New Orleans. Combined age: 84 years 9 months. Oxygen tanks ready? Drew won.
6. INTER MIAMI: Improving expansion team scores huge signing with Higuain: Former Juventus striker and new Inter Miami star Gonzalo Higuain has arrived on the heel of Miami also signing former French World Cup star Blaise Matuidi. Meanwhile the vastly improving rookie club, after an 0-5 start, has won two and drawn two in its past six matches after Saturday's 2-1 loss to Orlando City. Next: At Atlanta United next Saturday.
7. TENNIS: Serena denied history again as U.S. Open reaches title weekend: Serena Williams fell short yet again in her bid for a record-tying 24th career major win. Instead No. 4 seed Naomi Osaka beat unseeded Victoria Azarenka for Saturday's U.S. Open women's championship. It was Dominic Thiem over Alexander Zverev in Sunday's low-watt men's final. Serena, about to turn 39, will give history another shot in the French open starting September 27.
8. GOLF: Koepka out as U.S. Open begins on Thursday: Major at Winged Foot is this Thursday through Sunday, but without two-time champ Brooks Koepka, an injury withdrawal. Dustin Johnson leads a still-strong field as 8-1 betting favorite. Tiger Woods is tied for eighth pick at 28-1 odds.
9. NHL: Heading to a Tampa-Dallas Stanley Cup Final?: Tampa Bay leads N.Y. Islanders 3-1 in the East finals after Sunday's win and aims to clinch Tuesday. IN the West Dallas leads Vegas 3-1 after Saturday's win and can clinch on Monday.
10. NASCAR: Playoffs two races in as first cuts near: NASCAR's 10-race playoffs are two races, with Brad Keselowski and Kevin Harvick having won so far. Field will trim from 16 drivers to 12 after the next race.
Missing the HB10 cut: Sports smorgasbord! This past Thursday the NFL, college football, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS and U.S. Open tennis all were playing. Full yet? ..... Six Top 25 teams played Saturday; only No. 23 Iowa State fell, to Louisiana. Florida State also lost (to Georgia Tech) , the only other state FBS team besides UM to play in Week 2..... MLB's playoffs-in-a-bubble plan awaits players unIon approval ..... The weak Big Ten is wavering on whether to not play this fall ..... English Premier League season has begun! ..... Well it sure has been a good while since Conor McGregor's been in trouble. Oh. Wait ..... USWNT star Alex Morgan is joning Tottenham Hotspur's women's club on loan ..... Bubba Wallace, NASCAR driver and the man who removed the Confederate flag from his sport, is leaving Richard Petty Motorsports after this season ..... A bunch of men you've never heard of are riding really expensive bicycles in the Tour de France, and it ends next Sunday ..... The Greg Cote Show podcast's new Episode 28 is out Monday morning ..... Update: Countdown now 2,115 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup. Always cheerily assuming the world hasn't imploded by then.
Other most recent columns: 'If I Die, I Die.' QB Cousins' Shamefully Cavalier Attitude On Pandemic and our columns off Heat-Bucks Games 1 and 2: Lifting Spirits And A City: Heat, Up 2-0, Continue Pandemic Playoff Run and Heat Beat Bucks In Game 1, In A Series Also About '21 Free Agency. Also: Boycott Of NBA Playoffs Shows Nation That Injustice Is Bigger Than Sports Right Now and Having Fans at Dolphins, Canes Games A Bad Idea And Big Risk. And: Pat Riley's Grand Plan On Track As Heat Close In On Playoff Advance / For Marlins, A Home Opener -- And First Place -- In Mid-August / Fractured College Football Mirrors America's Divide On How to Handle a Pandemic / Fall Without Football: Big Ten, Pac-12 Set Moral Compass for NFL, Others to Follow / As Panthers Move on From Tallon, Who's Next Miami Team Executive on Hot Seat? / and 'Perfect Storm For Virus Transmission': Why Football Is Struggling to Lift Off.
-- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * --
THE COTE ARCHIVES:
Marlins Hell Week Trilogy: Are Marlins To Blame For Own Outbreak? If So It Would Mirror America's Struggle / Marlins Outbreak Worsens, Sports Should Rethink Playing Again in 2020 / and Marlins Delaying Home Opener For COVID Outbreak a Scary Lesson For All Sports. Special Don Shula tribute: Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / and What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. They Boy Was Me. George Floyd-related: Sports' Gradual Return Offers America Relief We Desperately Need / It Took George Floyd To Finally Wake Up White America / Goodell's NFL Response to Floyd Killing Is Hypocrisy At Its Most Ironic / and George Floyd Is Why Kaepernick & Sports Must Continue Fight For Social Justice
Other most recent columns: Here's Why Nobody Should Rule Out Heat Reaching NBA Finals / Marlins and Dolphins, In a Race For Relevance, Offer Hope At a Time We Need That / When Will Dolphins Unleash Tua? Exploring the Timetable as Rookies Report / Sports Resume, But Major Concerns Complicate Opening of Football Training Camps / He Made a Mistake, But Miami Knows Who Dwyane Wade Is And Knows It By Heart / Marlins Captain Miguel Rojas On Pandemic And Playoffs As Baseball Returns / Rest In Pieces, Redskins. Now Here Are Sports' Other Suspect Nicknames / 'Redskins Is Racist Nickname Based On a Lie. Time For It to Disappear / Money Or Health? NFL and Major College Football Face A Decision / Tough Times All Around, But Rise Of Miami Sports Offers Hope / The Face Of Miami Sports in 2020: Our Top 20 And Who's No.1 / Time to Abort Season Restarts and Call Off Sports For Rest Of 2020 / Uh-oh. Cam Newton means Belichick and Patriots Are Back / Saving the National Anthem From Sporting-Event Extinction / Baseball Joins In With Restart Plan. But Is Sports Walking Into a Giant Mess? / Noose Left For NASCAR's Bubba Wallace's Only Grows Resolve to End Racial Hatred / and Team That Signs Kaepernick Will Be Champions Of the Street
Select columns from earlier in 2020: Amid Pandemic And Protests, 'America's Pastime' Is Letting American Down / Return Of Sports Promises Historic TV Smorgasbord / Homestead Is Test Lab As NASCAR Gradually Welcomes Back Fans / R.I.P. Kurt Thomas, an American Gymnastics Pioneer / MLB Players Demanding More Millions, Right Now, Is A Bad Look / Amid a Pandemic, An Outrage in Alamance County / Welcome to Sports Without Fans, the New Normal / As NBA, MLB Plot Return, We Miss Them -- Yet Sports Have Never Seemed More Trivial / Anticipation of Relevance, Excitement Is Tua's Gift to Miami / Hall of Famer Andre Dawson On Baseball and Owning a Funeral Home Amid COVID-19 / Dolphins Aim High, Win Big With Tua Tagovailoa Pick / Greg Cote's 2020 NFL Mock Draft / Coronavirus, Tua Make This Dolphins' Weirdest, Most Interesting Draft Ever / NFL Draft Will Offer Blunt Verdict on Canes' Talent / Ultimate All-Time South Florida Major Sports Trivia Challenge / Sports Should Stop Pretending It Will Resume Anytime Soon As Coronovirus Rages / How a Longtime Herald Sport Writer Came to Own a Top Contender in Florida Derby / Time for NBA, NHL to Shut it Down, End Seasons / Le Batard Show Deals with Coronavirus-Related Upheaval / Brady Leaving Patriots for Tampa. Will Belichick Be Proved Right In Letting Him Go? / Miami Sports Now Utterly Engulfed By Coronavirus Threat -- But Precaution Is Justified / Inter Miami Is Market's Sleeping Giant As Home Opener Nears / Jeter Arrives At Camp, Calls Marlins 'Layered With Talent' / Dwyane Wade, His Transgender Daughter And A Lesson In Love / Time For Anonymous Lone Voter Who Denied Jeter To Step Forward / Heat And Gloriously Impatient Riley Win In Trade For Iguodala / Return Of Ed Reed, Even If Mostly Symbolic, Leads Surge By Canes Football / Kobe's Death Sends Sports World Reeling, But Immortality Is His / Jimmy Johnson's Biggest Triumph? Knowing When To Quit -- And Why / Announcing Miami Dolphins' 2010-19 All-Decade Team / and two-part series on how Dolphins' Glory Day happened: How One Man Long Forgotten Changed Everything For the Miami Dolphins and How Shula Made Dolphins Perfect and Made Miami Matter, And the Coach Today at 90
-- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * --
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors writing awards ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz on ESPN Radio. Finding Greg Cote: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Book: Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go (audio) and The Ballad Of 1440 (video).