The new Hot Button Top 10 (updated): Year Tua underway, hot(ish) Marlins, Joe Thornton. See who's No. 1 and what else falls where; plus R.I.P. Gerd Muller, Greg explains his Le Batard Show holdout in new podcast out now & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It's MONDAY, AUGUST 16. Love the new Elton John/Dua Lipa dance remix by Pnau called Cold Heart. It's a mashup of four Elton songs, two obvious (Sacrifice, Rocket Man) and two not (Kiss the Bride, Where's the Shoorah?). Listen and watch here. 2) Join me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. And follow the Greg Cote Show podcast separately on Twitter, Instagram and now TikTok, too! 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): The Dolphins prepare to unveil Year Tua, The unraveling of ex-Cane Aubrey Huff, What Messi's big move means to Inter Miami, Greg Cote Show podcast & more.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: GREG TALKS LE BATARD SHOW HOLDOUT ON NEW EPISODE OUT NOW!: Our 32nd episode of 2021 and 74th overall is out now! A new pod drops every Monday at 7 a.m. ET on Apple, Spotify, Google, Amazon, Stitcher, Megaphone, iHeart -- wherever you pod, and of course at MiamiHerald.com. You can find all 73 we've done HERE, for free. In our newest episode: Greg reveals details about his holdout from and future on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz. And, as Greg's Lobos gird for another fantasy football season, we welcome in a special guest named ... Greg Lobo! Also in the new ep: Greg's thoughts on the Dolphins' preseason-opening loss and on Armando Salguero leaving the Miami Herald. Also, a new Mount Gregmore! Thanks as always for the support, pod family. Please listen, rate, review and follow! (Our pod simulcasts on Sirius XM every Monday 5-6 p.m. ET on Channel 145).
Our most recent columns: Dolphins' 'Big Picture' Begins To Emerge With Unveiling Of Year 2 Tua / Unraveled: The Story Behind Who Aubrey Huff Became / and What Lionel Messi's Sudden, Stunning Move Means For Inter Miami.
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (AUGUST 15-16): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. This week's HB10:
1. DOLPHINS: Tua (mostly) shines as Fins drop fake-game opener: Dolphins led at Chicago 13-0 Saturday at Soldier Field but lost 20-13. Nobody cares. It was a preseason game. This mattered more: Tua Tagovailoa launched his second season impressively with an 8-for-11 performance for 99 yards, with two of his top receivers not playing. Blemish: One bad decision and an end-zone interceptions. Still an encouraging start to Year Tua. Next: Saturday night vs. Atlanta in Fins' only home exhibition.
2. MARLINS: Hot Fish sweep reeling Cubs: Fish are 51-67 (12-17 since the break) in a six-game homestand after Sunday's 4-1 win over the Cubs completed a three-game sweep and made it four W's in a row for Miami. First game featured club record-tying 11-run inning. Reeling Cubbies have now lost 11 straight. Marlins now welcome in Braves for three.
3. INTER MIAMI: Four-game unbeaten runs ends at NYC: After an eight-game winless streak, Inter Miami carried a four-game unbeaten run (two wins, two draws) into Saturday night's game at strong New York City, but fell 2-0. Next: Miami, now 4-4-9, hosts a comparable (read: beatable) Chicago Fire squad Wednesday night.
4. SOCCER: Eyes on Paris, Messi as Europe leagues begin: League seasons are underway across Europe, with notable betting favorites Manchester City in English Premier League, Bayern Munich in German Bundesliga, Real Madrid in Spanish La Liga, Juventus in Italian Serie A and Paris Saint-Germain -- with Lionel Messi, soon -- in French Ligue 1. Messi's Paris debut is speculated to come after World Cup qualifying matches for Argentina in September. Best guess for his PSG debut: September 12 in Ligue 1 match or September 14 or 15 in UEFA Champions League.
5. PANTHERS: Cats sign ageless Joe Thornton: Center Joe Thornton will play a 24th NHL season, at age 42, and it will be in Sunrise after the FlaPanthers signed the ageless star to a bare-bonds 1-year, $750,000 contract. Thornton is first among all active players in career assists and points, and second in games played. Cats also signed forward Sam Reinhart to a 3-year deal.
6. HEAT: Miami prospects wrap up Summer League; U.D. re-signs: Heat prospects are 4-2 in Summer League play (2-0 in Sacramento and 2-2 in Las Vegas) after Saturday loss to Atlanta. One game remains. Meantime NBA continues investigating tampering charges against two teams related to recent free agency sign-and-trades, including Miami over its acquisition of Kyle Lowry. Believed to be at issue: Improper contact ahead of the official August 2 start date. Also, as expected, Udonis Haslem re-signed for a 19th season.
7. MLB: Good: 'Field Of Dreams'; Bad: Barstool deal?: Nostalgia was king as the White Sox and Yankees played a regular season game in Dyersville, Iowa at the site of the classic 1989 baseball movie Field of Dreams -- and with a Hollywood ending, Chicago's walkoff home run into the cornfields. The bad news? MLB is in broadcast talks with Barstool Sports in an apparent desire to gain a larger share of the sexist white frat-boy demographic.
8. HURRICANES: Countdown 19 days 'til Alabama opener: UM fall football camp continued with a scrimmage Sunday -- now with less than three weeks until the No. 16 Canes open vs. No. 1 Alabama in the September 4 Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta. Meantime UM announced a home-and-home series with Brigham Young in 2026 and '28. Schools last met in 1990.
9. SOCCER: U.S, men crack top 10 in FIFA World Ranking: The U.S. men's national team leaps 10 spots to No.10 in the FIFA World Ranking on the wing of its Gold Cup win, the Americans' first time in the top 10 in 15 years. Illogically the U.S. is one spot behind Mexico despite beating El Tri two in a row including the Gold Cup final. U.S. women remain No.1 despite their disappointing bronze medal in the Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
10. NFL: Shortened preseason underway: Down from four games to three (still too many), the NFL preseason has begun in full as all teams play their fist exhibition game in a showcase of mostly scrubs trying to win depth roles. Fake Week 1 wrapped Sunday afternoon. The expanded 17-game regular season opens September 9.
Missing the HB10 cut: R.I.P., Gerd Muller. The German and Bayern Munich soccer legend passed away at 75 as the greatest striker there ever was. Ended his career with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in 1979-81 ..... Field of dreams: Diamondbacks' Tyler Gilbert no-hit the Padres in his first MLB start. Nobody had done that in the bigs since Bobo Holloman in 1953 ..... Hundred paid respects to Bobby Bowden at the state capitol in Tallahassee ..... The Hurricanes have entered the NFT (digital) marketplace with "Canes Vault," billed as celebrating the history of UM athletics with collections of animated illustrations. An NFT (non-fungible token) is a unique piece of digital content that is a licensed collectible. Parents, asked your kids to explain it further ..... Florida Panthers signed Canes QB D'Eriq King to a Name-Image-Likeness) deal, making King the first college athlete to sign an NIL agreement with a pro team. King will appear at some games and events and on Cats social media, develop a merchandise collection, and have his concession menu item ..... Here was an email I got with a headline that made me laugh out loud and I'm not sure why: 'Introducing The Marlins Credit Card!' ..... Kawhi Leonard, as expected, will stay with L.A. Clippers, re-signing on a four-year, $176.3 million max deal ..... Breanna Stewart led the Seattle Storm past the Connecticut Sun 79-57 in the inaugural WNBA Commissioner's Cup, the first "midseason championship" in the league's 25-year history. Oh what a bad idea! ..... Can't-retire Philippines senator Manny Pacquiao enters the ring vs. WBA welterweight champion Yordenis Ugás in a pay-per-view event next Saturday in Vegas ..... The Greg Cote Show podcast is out with a new episode Monday at 7 a.m. ET ..... Update: Countdown now 1,779 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup.
-- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * --
Our Bobby Bowden tribute column: College Football and FSU Lose a Treasure In Passing Of Bobby Bowden.
The Hall of Fame quartet: Columns on the four men with strong South Florida ties enshrined last week in Canton: Biggest Victory Of Hall Of Famer Jimmy Johnson's Life Was Getting His Son Back / Hurricanes' Edgerrin James / Dillard High's Isaac Bruce / and Coral Springs High's Steve Hutchinson.
Our most recent other columns: Xavien Howard Right To Feel Disrespected, And Dolphins Need To Fix This Mess / Biles' Withdrawal For Mental-Health Reasons Merits Empathy, Not Scorn / Top 10 NFL Storylines Entering Training Camp (Where's Tua?) / Where Dolphins Rank Among Teams With Longest Championship Droughts / Dolphins Owner Ross Unveils New $135 Million Training Site As Another Reason Team Must Win Now / It's Selfish, Me-First Athletes Who Are Refusing the COVID Vaccine / Hot Seat Scale: Ranking Miami's Biggest Coaches By Most to Least Job Security / Peril vs. Possibility: Should the Heat Gamble and Try to Fix Ben Simmons? / Tokyo Olympics Should Be Delayed Again But It's Too Late. Why? Money / May Sha'Carri Richardson Be Last Victim Of Olympics' Archaic Marijuana Rules / 'I'm D'Eriq King For College Hunks Hauling Junk!' It's Strange New World in College Sports / Time For Sports To Quit Hiding, Stand Up And Lead The Pro-Vaccine Fight / and Nassib Coming Out As Gay NFL Player A Milestone In Sports History.
Select other (fairly) recent columns: Exhibition Losses Give Team USA Wakeup Call It Needs Headed to Olympics / Injury-Wrecked Playoffs, Asterisk Champion: Why Greedy NBA Is Getting What It Deserves / Better 2 Years Late Than Never, Panthers Get 2023 NHL All-Star Weekend / Fate Snatched Basketball From Chris Bosh. His new Book Is Part of His Journey Of Healing / Here's What Else Must Go Right (Besides Tua) For Dolphins To Continue Momentum / Rumors, Speculation and the Truth on Spoelstra, Lillard and Heat / Where's Tua? Ranking Our Top 15 South Florida Pro Athletes 25 And Younger / As Teams Like Miami Pray For Right QB, Packers' Disrespect Of Rodgers Is Galling / Messi-to-Miami Is Shot of Hope David Beckham's Troubled Soccer Club Needs / Miami Heat, With No Answers, Put Out of Misery In Game 4 Loss To Milwaukee / Another Early Panthers Playoff Exit Ends An Encouraging Season Too Soon / Pythons, Peppers, Pirate Flag Raised. Inside Le Batard's 24-Hour Triumph / The Curious, Complicated Drama Of Naomi Osaka's French Open Withdrawal / Hall of Fame Snubbed Chris Bosh Last year. Time To Make it Right / Aging Ex-Dolphins Reflect On Own Mortality One Year After Shula's Death / Aaron Rodgers' Packers Drama Involves Miami (Of Course). But Here's Why It Won't Happen / Grade-A Draft Feeds Momentum For Team-On-the-Rise Dolphins / Le Batard Bet On Himself And His Audience -- And Won Big / Justice For George Floyd Helps Heal Our Shaken Faith, But Fight For Equality Goes On / What Would Jackie Robinson Think About Race In America Today? / It Won't Fix the World, But Matsuyama's Masters Win Lifts Japan In Time Of Anti-Asian Hate / Even After Playoffs In '20, Marlins Still 'Bottom Feeders' Fighting For Respect / Special Opening Day as Marlins Welcome Back Fans, Feeling Of Hope / In History And In Hearts, Howard Schnellenberger Will Matter For All Time / Beckham Keeps Name-Dropping Messi, Ronaldo For Inter Miami. Can He Deliver? / Women Keep Accusing Deshaun Watson of Sexual Misconduct. But Will It Matter to NFL Teams? / Phil Reflects on 25-Year Rivalry/Friendship With Tiger As Honda Classic Tees Off / Reality, Loss, Comeback: How Sports Has Been Guiding Light In America's Awful Past Year / Heat Should Parts Ways With Meyers Leonard Over Anti-Semitic Slur / Beckham's Resolve Tested By Tumult As Inter Miami Nears 2nd MLS Season / Time-Travelling To 1960s And Childhood, When The Baseball Card Was King / Quit Lecturing LeBron On Activism And His Own Conscience / Michael Jordan, Pitbull Signal Needed New Era as NASCAR Returns to Homestead / Doesn't Matter If Tiger Woods Never Wins Again. We Are Lucky He's Alive / Loss at Aussie Open Leaves Serena's Legacy Firm Yet Still Unfinished / Inter Miami's Beckham Risks Stepping Into Massive, Avoidable Mess / Put Brady In Sports' All-Time Pantheon. But He Has Company / Final Herald NFL 2020 QB Rankings / Marlins Hit History-Making Home Run With Kim NG Hire As GM / In a Pandemic-Battered Season For FIU, Butch Davis' Love Of Coaching Survives / Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / and What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. The Boy Was Me.
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors writing awards ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz.
Finding Greg: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Book: Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go (audio only) and The Ballad Of 1440 (with video).