Latest Hot Button Top 10 (updated): Cats desperate to tie series tonight. Heat fall to 2-2 despite Jimmy's 40. Verstappen! See who's No.1 and what else ranks where; plus new Greg Cote Show podcast out now!, updated Mount Gregmore of columns & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It's MONDAY, MAY 9. Hope all you Moms had a lovely and happy Mother's Day! 2) Join me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Follow the Greg Cote Show podcast separately on Twitter, Instagram and now TikTok, too. 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Panthers and Heat both fall hard in Game 3s, Greg Cote Show podcast, latest in Mount Gregmore of columns.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: NEW EPISODE OUT NOW!: Our 21st episode of 2022 and 112th overall is out now! A new episode drops every Monday at 7 a.m. ET on Apple, Spotify and wherever else you pod, and of course at MiamiHerald.com. Find all 112 we've done HERE, free. The new episode includes Event 4 of the Father-Son Cote Olympics: Darts! Can Dad finally win a doggone event? Also, Le Batard Show's Jessica Semtana drops by with an eclusive F1 Miami Grand Prix report; Greg launches into an epic Gripefest; and update on our new website/merch store & more. Hit up GCS2221 for full story on the latest ep, and watch our weekly YouTube preview. Thanks as always for the support, pod family. Please listen, review and follow. We simulcast on Sirius XM, too, Mondays from 5-6 p.m. ET. And now, brand new: Our podcast has an all-encompassing website and merch store: Check it out at TheGregCoteShow.com!
Thank you!: Was honored to have again been named by Associated Press Sports Editors as national Top 10 columnist for 2021 in '22 judging. The four nominated columns that won: Inter Miami’s David Beckham and Qatar a budding, avoidable controversy / Hall of Famer Jimmy Johnson knows biggest victory happened in own family / Scorned, but does he deserve empathy? Behind who Aubrey Huff became and Dolphins sabotaging Tua with interest in Watson
MOUNT GREGMORE OF COLUMNS: OUR LATEST FIVE:
Hilltop: The most recent five after that: Uh oh. Panthers Collapse Late, Lose Game 1 at Home to Capitals / Herro, Bam lift Heat over 76ers in Game 1 To Launch Huge Week in SoFla Sports / Why Quiet Draft With No 1st-Round Pick Was Great News For Dolphins / ‘Centerpiece of futbol in world’: Dream is green-lit. Now can Inter Miami deliver? / 31st Annual Official Miami Herald NFL Mock Draft
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (MAY 8-9): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, but from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. The latest HB10:
1. HEAT: Miami falls again; series tied 2-2. Where have the 3's gone?: After 14- and 16-point home wins the Heat has fallen hard in Philly including Sunday night's 116-108 loss evening the series at 2-2 as it heads back to Miami for Game 5 Tuesday night. Even Jimmy Butler's 40 points were not enough as James Harden and Joel Embiid combined for 55 and Heat shot 7-for-35 on 3's.
2. PANTHERS: Ouch. Cats' 6-1 loss digs 2-1 hole entering tonight: A home split in Sunrise was followed by Saturday's ugly 6-1 Panthers loss in Washington for a 2-1 Capitals lead in the first round series. Florida must find way to win Game 4 in D.C. tonight/Monday or it will return home needing three straight wins to survive the first round as a No. 1 seed.
3. MOTORSPORTS: Verstappen big winner in Sunday's inaugural Miami Grand Prix: Sunday's maiden Miami Grand Prix blasted around Hard Rock Stadium Sunday in the fifth race of Formula One's championship series. Charles Leclerc and Ferrari had the points lead but Red Bull's Max Verstappen dominated the day and won the event. Fan favorite Lewis Hamilton finished sixth. The course's vista on Turns 6, 7 and 8 was the stuff of photoshopped internet fun, with 10 yachts on the inside surrounded by solid "vinyl water."
4. MARLINS: Sunday loss leaves Fish on 1-7 skid: Joe Dunand, nephew of Alex Rodriguez, homered and doubled in his big-league debut Saturday as the Marlins won in San Diego, 8-0. Sunday, not so good: Blown save in a 3-2 loss -- the seventh in past eight games for the now 13-15 and third place Marlins. Seven-game road trip continues with three in Arizona.
5. SOCCER: It's Real Madrid vs. Liverpool in Champions League final: Liverpool in the May 28 UEFA Champions League final did not surprise. But Real Madrid did after a stunning semifinal comeback ousted Manchester City. "We have a score to settle," tweeted Liverpool star Mo Saleh. The teams last met in the 2018 UCL championship, when Salah left in tears after being injured in a tackle during Real Madrid's 3-1 win. Madrid have won 13 European Cups, most ever; Liverpool's six tie for third most. Finale will be in Paris, moved from Russia after the Ukraine invasion.
6. INTER MIAMI: Hot spell done. Team back to losing: Inter Miami is 2-1-6 after Saturday's 1-nil loss at Charlotte, the team's first match since the big win in the Miami Freedom Park stadium vote. On deck: Herons host South Georgia in a U.S. Open Cup match Tuesday, then return to MLS play at D.C. United May 14.
7. DOLPHINS: Miami sets rookie minicamp, offseason dates: The Dolphins' four recent draft picks led by Georgia linebacker Channing Tindall and the team's undrafted free agents will gather for a rookie minicamp this coming Friday through Sunday. The team's mandatory full-squad minicamp is schedule June 1-2. Other offseason workdays are setfor May 16-17, 19, 23-24 and 26, and June 6-7 and 9-10.
8. HORSE RACING: 80-1 longshot stuns at Kentucky Derby: The 148th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs opened thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown season on Saturday -- but not as planned. An 80-1 lonsghot, Rich Strike, bolted up the rail to win, with 4-1 favorite Epicenter and Zandon beaten at the finish. "I about fell down in the paddock when he hit the wire,'' said winning trainer Eric Reed. "I about passed out.'' Rich Strike paid $163.60. Only Donerail in 1913 had a higher payout of $184.90.
9. BOXING: A rarity: Canelo Alvarez loses a fight: Dmitry Bivol scored a unanimous decision over Canelo Alvarez in Las Vegas Saturday in one of the biggest boxing upsets in recent memory. It was the first loss for Alvarez rsince 2013, at age 23, to Floyd Mayweather.
10. WNBA: Griner shadows Opening Weekend for 26th season: WNBA's 26th season tipped off Friday with the Las Vegas Aces, Connecticut Sun and defending champ Chicago Sky the betting favorites of the 12 teams. League will honor Phoenix Mercury star Britney Griner, arrested and held in Russia (where she played in offssesaon) since February 17, with a 'BG42' decal on every home court. The U.S. is now classifying Griner's arrest as a "wrongful detention" and negotiating her release. About time.
Missing the HB10 cut: There are 12 playoff series going on in hockey (eight) and basketball (four) including of course the Heat and Panthers -- and six of the 12 are tied 2-2. Colorado Avalanche up 3-0 can be next to to advance tonight ..... Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani this week became the first pitcher to both start a game at Fenway Park and also bat in the top four of the order since Babe Ruth did so September 20, 1919 ..... Spotlight-addict Antonio Brown in the headlines for trashing Colin Kaepernick. What an odd fight to pick ..... Diego Maradona's 'Hand Of God' jersey worn in the 1986 World Cup has sold at auction for a record $9.28 million. Previous record for a game-worn jersey was $5.64 million for a 1928-30 Babe Ruth jersey ..... No. 6-ranked Canes baseball is 35-12 after a weekend home sweep of North Dakota State ..... Matt Kenseth, 2003 Cup Series champ, was voted into the 2023 class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame on the first ballot ..... Good for Ryan Tannehill, acknowledging he'd been in a "dark place" and sought therapy after last season's Titans playoff loss ..... Florida high schools had 22 of the 247 players taken in the NFL Draft this year. Six Miami-Dade or Broward schools had one player each: American Heritage, Booker T. Washington, Central, Dillard, Flanagan and St. Thomas Aquinas ..... The Greg Cote Show podcast is back with a new episode out Monday at 7 a.m. ..... Update: Countdown now 1,513 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup.
***** ----- ***** ----- ***** ----- ***** ----- ***** ----- *****
Select other recent columns: Oladipo Crowns His Long Road Back, Lifts Heat Into Second Round / Only In Miami: Ex-Marlins Prez Samson Joins Fight vs. 'Boondoggle' Soccer Stadium / Marlins Declare 'Impatience," Delight Near-Sellout In Exciting Home Opener / Blowing Up Dolphins' Brady-Payton Plan Parting Shot Of Flores Lawsuit. For Now / Heat 'Wildly Disrespected' No. 1 Seed, But that's Fine By Miami As Playoffs Begin / Inter Miami Has Been Major Failure For David Beckham. Here's The BIg Fix / Rotation Set, Lineup Improved, Excuses Gone. Time For Marlins To Win / Could Have Died. Nearly Lost a Leg. Tiger Playing Masters Means He's Already Won / The Lawsuit, 2 Months Later: Why Flores Has Already Won, And Dolphins Are Still Nervous / NCAA Final Four: Why America Was Rooting Against The Perfect Ending / Marlins Owner Sherman Said He'd Spend. Payroll Says It Hasn't Been Enough / Crushing End Short Of Final Four, But Miami Hurricanes' NCAA Run Was Exhilarating Milestone / Tyreek Hill Trade, Terron Armstead Signing A Win-Now Power Play By Dolphins / Dolphins' Moves Help Tua, But Isn't About Surrounding Cast. It's On him / Why Do We Love March Madness This Much? First, Look In The Mirror / Brady's Comeback Not About Another Ring. It's About Holding Onto Who He Is / When Spoelstra Joined Heat's 'Inner Circle' And Became Riley's Next Coach / Why Brittney Griner Is Lost In Russia / Chris Cote To Save Sport Of Jai-Alai / Brady A Dolphins Part Owner? Why It Could Happen / Why Derek Jeter-Marlins Marriage Fell Apart / Players Are On Right Side In Labor Dispute, But MLB Has Far Bigger Problem To Fix / Mickelson's Support Of Saudi Tour Mirrors Sports' Blind Eye to Human Rights / Top 15 Figures (Non-Athletes) In Miami Sports History / Hall of Fame Keeps Saying No, But Zach Thomas Keeps Feeling Gratitude / McDaniel Overcame Much In Own Life, Now Must Overcome Dolphins' Turmoil And Win / An Inside Preview Of Le Batard Show's Upcoming Musical. Yes, Musical / Ranking Flores/Ross Bombshell Among Biggest Dolphins Scandals / Ross Should Be Done As Fins Owner if Flores Allegations Are True / Ortiz Makes Hall, But Final Denial Of Bonds, Clemens A Shame on Voters, Baseball / Time Is Right (But Running Out) For MLB to Reinstate Pete Rose /'There Was A Pall On Us': The Panthers Season That Would Not Be Derailed / No-Vaccine Is Your Right. But There Are Consequences as Djokovic Was Reminded / State Of Miami Sports: Every Major Team, Graded Top To Bottom / Dolphins Firing of Flores The Unjustified Travesty Of A Clown-Show Owner / Canes Land Grand Prize In Cristobal, So No Excuses Left. New Glory Days A Must / 50 Years At the Herald For Me -- And a Lifetime Of Gratitude / UM Legend Frank Gore Talks NFL Future, Cristobal, Boxing As He Prepes For Ring Debut / UM And Blake James Parted Ways With Class -- Which Butch Davis Didn't Get From FIU / Quenneville Rightly Sacked as Panthers Coach Over 2010 Chicago Scandal / 'Time to Hunt': Cats' Hyped Season Off to Wild, Winning Start / Dolphins Fans, Ex-Players Gather For Emotional Farewell to Don Shula, Father of the Glory Days / If Sports Had A Spine, Kyrie Irving & Other Anti-Vaxxers Wouldn't Be Playing / Kyle Lowry Must Channel 'Doctor Of Greatness' If Heat Is To Chase NBA Title / Fairy Tale With Wrong Ending: Remembering Jose Fernandez 5 Years Later / An Appreciation of Udonis Haslem As He Re-Ups For 19th Heat Season / College Football and FSU Lose a Treasure In Passing Of Bobby Bowden / Biles' Withdrawal For Mental-Health Reasons Merits Empathy, Not Scorn / Where Dolphins Rank Among Teams With Longest Championship Droughts / Hot Seat Scale: Ranking Miami's Biggest Coaches By Most to Least Job Security / 'I'm D'Eriq King For College Hunks Hauling Junk!' It's Strange New World in College Sports / Nassib Coming Out As Gay NFL Player A Milestone In Sports History / Fate Snatched Basketball From Chris Bosh. His new Book Is Part of His Journey Of Healing / Where's Tua? Ranking Our Top 15 South Florida Pro Athletes 25 And Younger / Pythons, Peppers, Pirate Flag Raised. Inside Le Batard's 24-Hour Triumph / Le Batard Bet On Himself And His Audience -- And Won Big / Justice For George Floyd Helps Heal Our Shaken Faith, But Fight For Equality Goes On / In History And In Hearts, Howard Schnellenberger Will Matter For All Time / Women Keep Accusing Deshaun Watson of Sexual Misconduct. But Will It Matter to NFL? / Reality, Loss, Comeback: How Sports Has Been Guiding Light In America's Awful Past Year / Time-Travelling To 1960s And Childhood, When The Baseball Card Was King / Doesn't Matter If Tiger Woods Never Wins Again. We Are Lucky He's Alive / Marlins Hit History-Making Home Run With Kim NG Hire As GM / In a Pandemic-Battered Season For FIU, Butch Davis' Love Of Coaching Survives / Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. The Boy Was Me
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors 2021 writing awards again ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in '22 voting in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz.
Finding Greg: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Book: Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go (audio only) and The Ballad Of 1440 (with video).