The new Hot Button Top 10: Fins-Bills, Canes big losers (with column), Messi shines, Sandy wins, Heat unfurl, Federer farewell. Biggest HB10 ever?; plus new Greg Cote Show podcast drops Monday & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It's SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25. Be the change! Visit Change.org/MountGregmore and sign our petition to change the name of Mount Rushmore. 2) Join me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok. 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Tua propels Dolphins to big comeback wins, new Hot Button Top 10, new Greg Cote Show podcast, Mount Gregmore of columns.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: NEW EPISODE DROPS MONDAY!: Our 41st episode of 2022 and 132nd overall is out Monday morning! New episode drops every Monday at 7 a.m. ET on Apple, Spotify and wherever you pod. Find all 131 we've done so far HERE. In our most recent episode: Greg and Chris discuss the Dolphins miracle comeback win fueled by Tua Tagovailoa's six TD passes. Plus a touch of Canes, and a new "Hard Knocks: Greg's Lobos" featuring the world premiere of the new Lobos anthem. Also in the new ep: Greg and Chris discuss the father-son dynamic of the show; Bizarre facts about the Wizard Of Oz; The strangest way to accidentally cut yourself; David Beckham and the Queen; Chris and Yeti play sound to make fun of the funny ways Greg jumps in and contributes on the Le Batard Show when he has nothing to say; a new Dad joke of the week and more. Hit up GCS2240 for full story on latest ep, and watch our weekly YouTube preview. Thanks as always for the support, pod family. Please listen, review, follow, subscribe and so forth. We simulcast on Sirius XM, too, Mondays from 5-6 p.m. ET. And now our podcast has a website and merch store! Check it out at TheGregCoteShow.com and visit the store by clicking 'Shop'. New items including Lobos T-shirts and hats! Also check out our podcast's new YouTube channel.
NFL Week 3 picks: We're off and running in our 32nd season of NFL picks in the Miami Herald, and you'd visit NFL Week 3 Gems to find all of our latest picks for Dolphins-Bills, our Game of the Week, Upset of the Week and all the rest. We have five (!) big upsets this week ... is Miami one? Opened the week with a mixed result Thursday night. Had Cleveland winning but not covering 4 1/2; the Browns won and covered.
MOUNT GREGMORE OF COLUMNS: OUR LATEST FIVE:
NEW! Cristobal Honeymoon Ends With Thud As Canes Lose To Middle Tennessee NEW!
NEW! Everyone Loves Tua & Dolphins Now. But Can Bandwagon Survive Buffalo? NEW!
Tua's Career-Redefining Six TDs Lead Dolphins' Miracle Comeback
Hurricanes Let Another Chance For a Big-Stage, Signature Win Slip Away
Texas A&M The Win Canes Need To Give Cristobal Era Liftoff, Make America Notice
Hilltop: The five columns before that: Zero To Perfect: How Glory Days Dolphins Put Miami on National Sports Map / Fins' McDaniel, UM's Cristobal On Honeymoons, But Those Don't Last / Dolphins Handle Rival Patriots 20-17 In Impressive Season Opener / Our 2022 NFL Team Ranking. Wait. Miami Dolphins Are WHERE!? / Why Hill & Waddle Are Dolphins' Best WR Duo Since Clayton/Duper
Note: Mount Gregmore Of Columns includes opinion columns only. NFL picks, QB rankings and stories on latest podcast episode are among stuff not included.
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (SEPTEMBER 25-26): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. The latest HB10:
1. DOLPHINS: Fins host Bills today in biggest game in how long?: A couple of 2-0 AFC East rivals play for the division lead today at Hard Rock in the biggest game of NFL Week 3 -- Buffalo the Super Bowl betting favorite, Miami coming off that exhilarating miracle comeback at Baltimore fueled by Tua Tagovailoa's six TD passes. Bills are missing three injured starters in their secondary but still are favored. How good are the Dolphins? Let's find out.
2. HURRICANES: UM embarrassed, QB benched in home loss to Middle Tennessee: Miami plummeted in the polls from No. 13 to 25th after last week's loss at Texas A&M and will fall completely out of sight now with Saturday's embarrassing 44-34 home loss to Middle Tennessee. QB Tyler Van Dyke got benched for Jake Garcia, the pass defense gave up TDs of 71, 69 and 98 yards, and Mario Cristobal's honeymoon ended with a thud. Canes are off next week then host North Carolina October 8.
3 SOCCER: Messi does not disappoint in friendly in Miami: Argentina looks ready for the World Cup in Qatar later this fall. So does Lionel Messi. The 35-year-old captain played all 90 minutes and scored twice, delighting a sold-out Hard Rock crowd in a 3-0 tuneup friendly over Honduras. Messi's pass to Papu Gomez led to the opening goal by Lautaro Martinez. Messi himself later scored on a penalty and an artful chip over the Honduran goalkeeper. It was Argentina's 34th straight match win.
4. HEAT: Miami Media Day tips off preseason, Bahamas training camp: Heat's annual Media Day at the downtown arena on Monday precedes the Tuesday-through-Saturday training camp in the Bahamas. First of five preseason games is October 4 vs. Minnesota. Barring a last-minute move the Heat has a quiet, stand-pat offseason that has surprised and disappointed some fans.
5. NBA: Off-court scandals rock Celtics, Suns as camps open: As NBA season nears the Boston Celtics suspended coach Ime Udoka for the entire coming season over a rules-breaking affair with a club employee, throwing his future beyond this season in serious doubt. That's on the heel of the suspension of Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver over racist and misogynist remarks and workplace culture. Sarver now sells he will sell the club.
6. TENNIS: Federer says goodbye with doubles loss: First Serena Williams, now Roger Federer. The retiring Swiss great bid farewell to the game with a doubles loss in the Laver Cup tournament in London, alongside chosen partner and longtime friendly rival Rafael Nadal. Both were emotional as fans chanted Federer's name. Said Nadal: "An important part of my life is leaving too."
7. MARLINS: Sandy wins again, bolsters Cy Young claim: Miami is 63-89 with a six-game homestand ending today vs. Washington. NL Cy Young frontrunner Sandy Alcantara struck out 11 in a dominant 4-1 win Saturday to improve to 14-8. Fish are on road for six starting Tuesday at Mets, then close the season with three at home.
8. STATE COLLEGES (NON-UM): Florida falls, FIU crushed 73-0: No. 20 Florida fell 38-33 at No. 11 Tennessee and FSU should enter polls at 4-0 after 44-14 rout of Boston College. Closer to home it got ugly as FIU lost 73-0 at Western Kentucky and FAU fell 28-26 at Purdue. In other state FBS games (non-UM), UCF handled Georgia Tech and South Florida lost big at Lousiville.
9. SOCCER: Loss leaves shaky USMNT one friendly before World Cup: U.S. men's national team did not threaten and fell 2-0 to Japan in a tuneup for the World Cup, without star Christian Pulisic, the Chelsea forward, who was nursing a minor injury. Team USA faces Saudi Arabia Tuesday in Spain in its final tuneup match. That will be coach Gregg Berhalter final chance to assess before he must submit his 26-man World Cup roster on November 13.
10. MLB: Historic home run show by Judge, Pujols light up sport: Get us rewrite on baseball's history book as Yankee Aaron Judge -- cashing a Triple Crown -- became only the sixth player to achieve a 60-home run season while retiring Cardinal Albert Pujols became only the fourth man to reach 700 career homers. The power show has made up for a dull playoff race with all of the postseason tickets all but claimed.
Missing the HB10 cut: Florida Panthers open six-game NHL preseason on Monday with a pair of games at Nashville. Cats have a new star, Matthew Tkachuk (acquired in the blockbuster Jonathan Huberdeau trade) and a new coach, Paul Maurice, since finishing an otherwise stellar 2021-22 season with a second-round sweep by Tampa Bay ..... Playoff-chasing Inter Miami returns to play this Friday at Toronto. Herons are tied for seventh and last MLS East playoff spot with three games left ..... No. 5 Clemson escaped Wake Forest with a 51-45 OT win but 6-Oklahoma and 10-Arkansas were top-10 losers in college football ..... Two-time Olympic champion Eluid Kipchoge of Kenya broke his own world record in the marathon at 2:01:09 ..... U.S. leads Presidents Cup golf in Charlotte comfortably over the International side entering Sunday's final round ..... The Greg Cote Show podcast is back with a new episode out Monday at 7 a.m. ..... Update: Countdown now 1,358 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup.
***** ----- ***** ----- ***** ----- ***** ----- *****
Thank you!: Was honored to have again been named by Associated Press Sports Editors as national Top 10 columnist for 2021 in '22 judging. The four nominated columns that won: Inter Miami’s David Beckham and Qatar a budding, avoidable controversy / Hall of Famer Jimmy Johnson knows biggest victory happened in own family / Scorned, but does he deserve empathy? Behind who Aubrey Huff became and Dolphins sabotaging Tua with interest in Watson
Select other recent columns: Canes Rout Bethune 70-13 In Opener, But We Don't Know Real UM Yet / UM's Van Dyke Had Epic Year. Now His Encore Will Define Start Of Cristobal Era / Serena's Week At U.S. Open One For Ages As Tennis' Queen GOAT Defies Time / As Optimism In Dolphins & Canes Spikes, Miami Flexes As A Football Town / Tribute: Community Was One Place Dolphins Won Big -- Because of Jason Jenkins / Watson Punishment Will Go Way Beyond HIs Extended NFL Suspension / Butch Davis On Retiring, His 50-Year Career -- & Canes Twice Almost Bringing Him Back / Why Has Brady Skated On Tampering Role & Does He Still Have Future In Miami? / Miami Raised Mario Cristobal. Payback? Come Home & Make Canes Football Matter Again / Ross NFL Cheating Scandal A New Low For Owner Who Embarrasses Dolphins / 11 NBA Titles Not Where Bill Russell's Legacy Starts. Tribute To An Epic Life / Ranking South Florida's Top 20 Biggest Sports Stars (2022 Edition) / If Miami Marlins Trading For Juan Soto Sounds Laughable -- That's The Problem / Dolphins' Tua: The Disrespected Underdog QB About To Prove Everybody Wrong / How Matthew Tkachuk Brings Needed Swagger, Bravado To Panthers / How Super Mario And The Cheetah were Sent To Save Football in Miami / How Messi-to-Miami Became the Biggest, Longest Tease In Sports / Why Miami Heat Should Re-Think, Go All-In For King-Whale Kevin Durant / Cup Of AK-47 Coffee At Cowboys Games? Nuthin' Wrong With That, Huh Jerry? / Cy Young Alert: Marlins' Ace-On-Fire Sandy Alcantara Does It Again / The End Isn't Here, But It's Coming. Miami Sports Has Had Nobody Like Heat's Pat Riley / Title IX Empowered Women. The Supreme Court Has Done The Opposite / Florida Panthers Swap Coach Of Year Finalist For Guy No. 1 In Career Losses / 'Black Cloud' Over U.S. Open Amid Golf Civil War In Time Of Revolution In Sports / Heat Season Ends One Win (One Shot?) Short Of NBA Finals In Game 7 Loss / No Consolation, No Excuse: Panthers Swept From Playoffs In 2-0 Loss A Brutal End / Why'd World Cup pick Miami? Thank Dolphins Founder & Unlikely Soccer Visionary Joe Robbie / Whatever Happened To Don King? Famed Boxing Promoter Back At 90 For Last Bow in Miami / A Lesson In Sioux City: Sports And Real Life In Age Of Mass Shootings / ‘Centerpiece of futbol in world’: Dream is green-lit. Now can Inter Miami deliver? / Could Have Died. Nearly Lost a Leg. Tiger Playing Masters Means He's Already Won / Marlins Owner Sherman Said He'd Spend. Payroll Says It Hasn't Been Enough / Crushing End Short Of Final Four, But Miami Hurricanes' NCAA Run Was Exhilarating Milestone / Tyreek Hill Trade, Terron Armstead Signing A Win-Now Power Play By Dolphins / When Spoelstra Joined Heat's 'Inner Circle' And Became Riley's Next Coach / Why Brittney Griner Is Lost In Russia / Brady A Dolphins Part Owner? Why It Could Happen / Top 15 Figures (Non-Athletes) In Miami Sports History / Hall of Fame Keeps Saying No, But Zach Thomas Keeps Feeling Gratitude / McDaniel Overcame Much In Own Life, Now Must Overcome Dolphins' Turmoil And Win / An Inside Preview Of Le Batard Show's Upcoming Musical. Yes, Musical / Ross Should Be Done As Fins Owner if Flores Allegations Are True / Dolphins Firing of Flores The Unjustified Travesty Of A Clown-Show Owner / Canes Land Grand Prize In Cristobal, So No Excuses Left. New Glory Days A Must / 50 Years At the Herald For Me -- And a Lifetime Of Gratitude / Dolphins Fans, Ex-Players Gather For Emotional Farewell to Don Shula, Father of the Glory Days / Fairy Tale With Wrong Ending: Remembering Jose Fernandez 5 Years Later / An Appreciation of Udonis Haslem As He Re-Ups For 19th Heat Season / College Football and FSU Lose a Treasure In Passing Of Bobby Bowden / Biles' Withdrawal For Mental-Health Reasons Merits Empathy, Not Scorn / Where Dolphins Rank Among Teams With Longest Championship Droughts / Nassib Coming Out As Gay NFL Player A Milestone In Sports History / Le Batard Bet On Himself And His Audience -- And Won Big / In History And In Hearts, Howard Schnellenberger Will Matter For All Time / Reality, Loss, Comeback: How Sports Has Been Guiding Light In America's Awful Past Year / Time-Travelling To 1960s And Childhood, When The Baseball Card Was King / Marlins Hit History-Making Home Run With Kim Ng Hire As GM / Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. The Boy Was Me
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors 2021 writing awards again ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in '22 voting in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz.
Finding Greg: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Book: Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go (audio only) and The Ballad Of 1440 (with video).