Latest Hot Button Top 10 (updated): Fins win shootout (with column), Canes get embarrassed (w/ column), CFP chaos, Astros win, Cats/Heat slumping; plus NFL Week 9 picks, new Greg Cote Show podcast out now with Jimmy Johnson & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It's MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7. Join me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok. 2) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): NFL Week 9 picks, Dolphins' Bradley Chubb trade, UM-FSU preview, new Greg Cote Show podcast with Mina Kimes, NFL Week 8 results, Mount Gregmore of columns.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: NEW EPISODE OUT NOW WITH JIMMY JOHNSON!: Our 47th episode of 2022 and 138th overall is out now! New episode drops every Monday at 7 a.m. ET on Apple, Spotify and wherever you pod. Find all 138 we've done so far HERE. Our new episode out now is a must-listen/can't miss with legendary coach Jimmy Johnson (pictured) as he talks about his upcoming new memoir, "Swagger," and his career and life on and off the field. Great stuff if I do say so myself! Also in the new episode: Greg and Chris shares though on Canes-Florida State and Dolphins-Bears; An update on the Tony Kornheiser bet on whether he’ll agree to come on our show; Greg with an out-of-left-field appreciation of a groundbreaking 1963 song by Lesley Gore; Yeti shares what could be way too much information about his new vasectomy; Should you know who Tommie Smith is?; An argument over Friendsgiving; Dad joke of the week; Trying to explain and justify the phrase, “Do what now?” and more. Hit up GCS2247 for full story on latest ep, and watch our weekly YouTube preview. Thanks as always for the support, pod family. Please listen, review, follow, subscribe and so forth. We simulcast on Sirius XM, too, Mondays from 5-6 p.m. ET. Now our podcast has a website and merch store! Check it out at TheGregCoteShow.com and visit store by clicking 'Shop'. New items including Greg's Lobos T-shirts and hats! Also check out our podcast's YouTube channel.
NFL WEEK 9 PICKS: DOLPHINS-BEARS, GAME OF WEEK, 3 UPSETS ALL THE REST: Had a third straight winning week against the point spread last week. Can we keep it going? Visit NFL Week 9 Gems for to find all of our latest picks for Dolphins-Bears, our (controversial) Game of the Week, three more big upsets and all the rest. Got off to a mixed start. Had Eagles (-14) both winning and covering at Houston. Birds won but narrowly missed the cover, 29-17. Find that separate predix capsule at NFL Week 9 Thursday Gem.
MOUNT GREGMORE OF COLUMNS: OUR LATEST FIVE:
Hilltop: The five columns before that: Not Pretty. OK, It Was Ugly. But Canes' OT Escape At Virginia Keep Bowl Hope Alive / Pawns Chasing Saudi Blood Money Come To Doral As LIV Golf Ends 1st Season / Not Perfect, But Return Of Tua, Big Defense Lift Dolphins Past Steelers / Epic New Low For Cristobal: 8 Turnovers in 45-21 Home Loss To Duke / Bam Adebayo, Miami Heat Disappoint In Season-Opening Home Loss. Note: Mount Gregmore includes opinion columns only. NFL picks, QB rankings and stories on newest podcast are not included.
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (NOVEMBER 6-7): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature -- back after a week's hiatus due to Typepad being down -- is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. The latest HB10:
1. HURRICANES: Ouch! No-Show Canes, Cristobal embarrassed 45-3 by FSU: Prime time. National TV audience. Sold-out Hard Rock Stadium. And Hurricanes get embarrassed by rival Florida State 45-3, slipping to 4-5 and putting bowl hopes in peril. It was UM's worst home loss in 67-year history of the rivalry. Despite Mario Cristobal's first-year woes the Canes landed a major recruit in cornerback Cormani McClain, No. 4 overall in the 2023 ESPN 300 -- UM's top-rated recruiting score since ESPN began ranking players in 2009.
2. DOLPHINS: Fins wins shootout at Bears after going all in on Chubb trade: Dolphins are 6-3 and stay on playoff pace with Sunday's 35-32 win at Chicago that saw Tua Tagovailoa continue his stellar season with 302 passing yards an d three TDs. Meanwhile Miami went all-in at the NFL trade deadline by acquiring outside linebacker Bradley Chubb from Denver for a first-round 2023 pick and getting running back Jeff Wilson from San Fran.
3. COLLEGE FOOTBALL: CFP rocked with upheaval as 1, 4 and 6 all lose: The College Football Playoff picture was rocked Saturday as nine Top 25 teams fell -- including No. 1 Tennessee (to No. 3 Georgia), No. 4 Clemson (to unranked Notre Dame) and No. 6 Alabama (by 1-point to No. 10 LSU). The CFP's new chosen-four is likely to be Georgia and Ohio State in some order, Michigan and either TCU, Oregon or perhaps LSU.
4. HEAT: Jimmy-less Miami falls to 4-6: Miami is 4-6 after Friday night's 101-99 loss at Indiana despite Tyler Herro's 29 points. Jimmy Butler missed a second straight game with a hip injury. Heat has yet to reach .500 this young NBA season. They'd strung together a needed little two-game streak with home wins over Golden State (!) and Sacramento before falling Friday, and now have four at home starting tonight/Monday vs. Portland.
5. MLB: Astros win World Series the right way this time: Houston won Saturday to oust Philadelphia 4 games to 2 and claim its second World Series championship and first since the cheating-tainted one in 2017. The Astros entered the Series as the betting favorites at -170 and followed through. The Phillies' most recent of two crowns came in 2008.
6. MARLINS: Fish name Cards' Schumaker as new manager: St. Louis Cardinals bench coach Skip Schumaker is the Marlins new manager, arriving at 42 as the third-youngest in the bigs. Don Mattingly's replacement never has held the job before but was a two-time World Serie winner as a player with the Cards. In other Marlins news, club opened its new Dominican Academy, cornerstone of a commitment to international player development. And the three NL Cy Young finalists, to be announced Monday, surely will include Sandy Alcantara.
7. NBA: Is Nets' Kyrie Irving incapable of not doing stupid things?: Brooklyn's star guard Kyrie Irving, borrowing a page from Kanye West's Guide to Being Extremely Unlikable, promoted an anti-Semitic film and book on his social media accounts, drawing condemnation from his team, Jewish groups and others. Irving initially doubled down but finally apologized -- after the Nets suspended him "at least five games."
8. PANTHERS: Cats get needed win, and Ekblad back soon: Injured defenseman Aaron Ekblad could be back by next weekend and the Cats need him. Florida is only 7-6 after a 2-0 start with Sunday's 5-3 win at Anaheim. New star Matthew Tkachuk has lived up to billing early on, leading the team with 17 points including 12 assists.
9. CANES BASKETBALL: Opening Week for Miami, but Meier suspended: College hoops opens nationally and in Miami on Monday, with North Carolina's men and South Carolina's women atop the preseason polls. Miami's men, unranked despite reaching the NCAA Elite Eight last season, open at home Monday night vs. Lafayette, after UM women christen season that afternoon vs. Maryland-Eastern Shore. Miami's Isaiah Wong made preseason All-ACC first team and the Jerry West Award watch list for nations' top shooting guard. Canes women will play first three games with coach Katie Meier related to an NCAA probe into an "enforcement matter."
10. MLS: Los Angeles FC wins first league title: Top-seeded LAFC defeated the Philadelphia Union on penalty kicks after a 3-3 draw Saturday to win the 27th MLS Cup championship match. It was a heartbreak for Philly, which overcome two deficits and led late before falling. Both finalists were seeking their first league crown.
Missing the HB10 cut: The now 5-4 Florida Gators won 41-24 at Texas A&M to continue Jimbo Fisher's agony. In other non UM state FBS games, FIU fell hard 52-14 at North Texas; No. 25 UCF won 35-28 at Memphis; and South Florida lost 54-28 at Temple. FAU was off ..... NASCAR's Championship 4 run for season title was Sunday in Phoenix, with 2018 winner Joey Logano taking his second season crown ..... U.S. Women's National Team makes its first visit to Fort Lauderdale in 22 years this coming Thursday night with a friendly vs. Germany at Inter Miami Stadium. U.S. and Germany are No.1 and No. 3 in the current Women's FIFA World Ranking and last faced each other in 2018 ..... JImmie Johnson's NASCAR retirement and dalliance into IndyCar racing is over. The seven-time NASCAR champ is returning in 2023 as part-owner of Petty GMS. He'll run in about five Cup races including the Daytona 500 ..... Dustin Johnson LIV Golf's blood-money champ as Saudi-funded tour ends its inaugural season at Doral ..... Speculation is now confirmed: Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen are divorcing ..... The 2022 men's World Cup in Qatar is only two weeks away, with Brazil predictably the betting favorite at +400 ahead of France and Argentina, and Team USA is mid-pack 16th among the 32 clubs ..... Monster Jam (trucks with foolishly big tires) evidently is still a thing. It''s coming to Marlins Park January 28-29 ..... The Greg Cote Show podcast is back with a new episode out Monday at 7 a.m. ..... Update: Countdown now 1,316 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup.
---- ***** ----- ***** ----- ***** ----- ***** -----
Thank you!: Was honored to have again been named by Associated Press Sports Editors as national Top 10 columnist for 2021 in '22 judging. The four nominated columns that won: Inter Miami’s David Beckham and Qatar a budding, avoidable controversy / Hall of Famer Jimmy Johnson knows biggest victory happened in own family / Scorned, but does he deserve empathy? Behind who Aubrey Huff became and Dolphins sabotaging Tua with interest in Watson
Select other recent columns: Tua Can't Return Soon Enough As Dolphins Fall To Vikings For 3rd Straight Loss / Sorry, Canes, But 20-14 Win At Va-Tech Doesn't Impress Any More Than 3-3 Does / Csonka, ‘Heart’ Of Dolphins Glory Days, On Life Of Adventure — And Perfection / QB Calamity! 3rd-String Thompson Has Rough Baptism As Dolphins Fall At Jets / Canes Lose ACC Opener, Fall To 2-3 As Misery Continues For Mario Cristobal / Five Years In, Miami Marlins Rebuild Isn't Working. Here Is The Solution / NFLPA Firing Doctor For Concussion Eval May Mean Fins, Tua Are Victims Here / Dolphins Fall In Cincy, But Tua Hospitalized Puts Result In Perspective / No. 1 Dolphins, Fans Bask in National Attention, Ditch 20 Years' Irrelevance / Gamble Of Inaction: 5 Answers Will Judge Heat's Quiet Offseason / What's Going On Here!? Dolphins Beat Rival Bills, Improved to 3-0 / Cristobal Honeymoon Ends With Thud As Canes Lose To Middle Tennessee / Zero To Perfect: How Glory Days Dolphins Put Miami on National Sports Map / Our 2022 NFL Team Ranking. Wait. Miami Dolphins Are WHERE!? / Why Hill & Waddle Are Dolphins' Best WR Duo Since Clayton/Duper / UM's Van Dyke Had Epic Year. Now His Encore Will Define Start Of Cristobal Era / Serena's Week At U.S. Open One For Ages As Tennis' Queen GOAT Defies Time / Tribute: Community Was One Place Dolphins Won Big -- Because of Jason Jenkins / Watson Punishment Will Go Way Beyond HIs Extended NFL Suspension / Butch Davis On Retiring, His 50-Year Career -- & Canes Twice Almost Bringing Him Back / Miami Raised Mario Cristobal. Payback? Come Home & Make Canes Football Matter Again / Ross NFL Cheating Scandal A New Low For Owner Who Embarrasses Dolphins / 11 NBA Titles Not Where Bill Russell's Legacy Starts. Tribute To An Epic Life / Ranking South Florida's Top 20 Biggest Sports Stars (2022 Edition) / If Miami Marlins Trading For Juan Soto Sounds Laughable -- That's The Problem / Dolphins' Tua: The Disrespected Underdog QB About To Prove Everybody Wrong / How Matthew Tkachuk Brings Needed Swagger, Bravado To Panthers / How Messi-to-Miami Became the Biggest, Longest Tease In Sports / Cy Young Alert: Marlins' Ace-On-Fire Sandy Alcantara Does It Again / The End Isn't Here, But It's Coming. Miami Sports Has Had Nobody Like Heat's Pat Riley / Title IX Empowered Women. The Supreme Court Has Done The Opposite / Why'd World Cup pick Miami? Thank Dolphins Founder & Unlikely Soccer Visionary Joe Robbie / Whatever Happened To Don King? Famed Boxing Promoter Back At 90 For Last Bow in Miami / A Lesson In Sioux City: Sports And Real Life In Age Of Mass Shootings / ‘Centerpiece of futbol in world’: Dream is green-lit. Now can Inter Miami deliver? / Could Have Died. Nearly Lost a Leg. Tiger Playing Masters Means He's Already Won / Marlins Owner Sherman Said He'd Spend. Payroll Says It Hasn't Been Enough / Crushing End Short Of Final Four, But Miami Hurricanes' NCAA Run Was Exhilarating Milestone / Tyreek Hill Trade, Terron Armstead Signing A Win-Now Power Play By Dolphins / When Spoelstra Joined Heat's 'Inner Circle' And Became Riley's Next Coach / Why Brittney Griner Is Lost In Russia / Top 15 Figures (Non-Athletes) In Miami Sports History / Hall of Fame Keeps Saying No, But Zach Thomas Keeps Feeling Gratitude / McDaniel Overcame Much In Own Life, Now Must Overcome Dolphins' Turmoil And Win / An Inside Preview Of Le Batard Show's Upcoming Musical. Yes, Musical / Ross Should Be Done As Fins Owner if Flores Allegations Are True / Dolphins Firing of Flores The Unjustified Travesty Of A Clown-Show Owner / Canes Land Grand Prize In Cristobal, So No Excuses Left. New Glory Days A Must / 50 Years At the Herald For Me -- And a Lifetime Of Gratitude / Dolphins Fans, Ex-Players Gather For Emotional Farewell to Don Shula, Father of the Glory Days / Fairy Tale With Wrong Ending: Remembering Jose Fernandez 5 Years Later / An Appreciation of Udonis Haslem As He Re-Ups For 19th Heat Season / College Football and FSU Lose a Treasure In Passing Of Bobby Bowden / Biles' Withdrawal For Mental-Health Reasons Merits Empathy, Not Scorn / Where Dolphins Rank Among Teams With Longest Championship Droughts / Nassib Coming Out As Gay NFL Player A Milestone In Sports History / In History And In Hearts, Howard Schnellenberger Will Matter For All Time / Reality, Loss, Comeback: How Sports Has Been Guiding Light In America's Awful Past Year / Time-Travelling To 1960s And Childhood, When The Baseball Card Was King / Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. The Boy Was Me
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors 2021 writing awards again ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in '22 voting in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz.