Latest Hot Button Top 10 (updated): Bengals-Rams, G.O.A.T. out, Fins lose Daboll, Olympics, Nadal. See who's No.1 and what else falls where; plus new Greg Cote Show podcast (Non-Sports Olympics, NFL, Brady, Le Batard) out now & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND
1) It's MONDAY, JANUARY 31. Farewell January, out with a chill. See ya next year! 2) Join me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Follow the Greg Cote Show podcast separately on Twitter, Instagram and now TikTok, too! 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Defending Antonio Brown, Final Rejection of Bonds/Clemens a Shame, Mahomes-Allen show Dolphins how far they have to go, Greg Cote Show podcast.
GREG COTE SHOW PODCAST: NON-SPORTS OLYMPICS, NFL, BRADY, LE BATARD. NEW EPISODE OUT NOW!: Our 6th episode of 2022 and 97th overall is out now. A new pod is delivered every Monday morning at 7 ET on Apple, Spotify, Google, Amazon, Stitcher, Megaphone, iHeart -- wherever you pod, and of course at MiamiHerald.com. Find all 97 we've done so far HERE, free. In our newest episode, we introduce The Greg Cote Show Non-Sports Olympics, and offer a hotline for you to call and leave a message offering your own categories. And Greg disrespects a beloved Winter Olympics sport. Also in the new episode: Minnie Mouse in a pantsuit, the Mount Gregmore of Silliest Winter Olympics Sports, and Greg's escalation of his beef with Buzzkill Billy Corben is interupted by a phone call from Dan Le Batard. The latest episode wraps up in the Le Batard Show studio studios as we talk Super Bowl matchup and Tom Brady's (reported) retirement. Thanks as always for the support, pod family. Please listen, rate, review and follow. (Our pod simulcasts on Sirius XM every Monday 5-6 p.m. ET).
THE G.O.A.T. OUT OF NOWHERE: FROM 199TH DRAFTED TO HISTORY, A SALUTE TO TOM BRADY: Football and American sports have had forever to be ready for this day, a decade, anyway. The day arrived on Saturday. We still weren’t ready. A 44-year-old man retired, crazy-old for an NFL quarterback or for any player. And yet it felt too soon. We still weren’t ready to say goodbye to Tom Brady. “End of an era” is one of those terms we apply too casually. So is the G.O.A.T. appellation — Greatest Of All Time. Here there is no question they apply as if each was coined just for this man as we fathom suddenly putting the past tense on a career both epic and itself an epoch. In the NFL, his career has been the biggest and best ever, and no debate, please, no “among the” hedge. Beyond football, bring in Michael Jordan and whomever you wish, across all sports and all time. But have no doubt: Tom Brady’s spot on Mount Rushmore is reserved. The news broke in an afternoon report by ESPN, which delivered it as unequivocal fact, not speculation. Not “expected to” retire, but a done deal. It is thought Brady will wait until after the Super Bowl to himself make the news official. (Meantime ESPN is praying he won’t change his mind after Saturday’s World War III ‘BREAKING NEWS’ headline.) On Saturday, Tom Brady Sr. told KRON-TV in San Francisco that his son (“Tommy”) had not yet made a decision. Brady’s agent Don Yee did not confirm or deny the report but said an announcement from his client would be forthcoming. Brady’s own company, TB12, initially tweeted out the retirement news then deleted it. NFL Network confirmed ESPN’s report. But reports later Saturday indicated a decision had not yet been made. From my perspective, it sounds like Brady’s camp is not thrilled to be scooped by ESPN on their own announcement. Assuming the veracity of report — that Brady has played his last game — there is hardly a way for hyperbole here even if that were the intent. For our full latest caolumn, visit The G.O.A.T. We Never Saw Coming: From 199th Drafted To History, A Salute To Tom Brady.
Newest other columns from this past week: Like Him Or Don't, Antonio Brown Not Always To Blame -- And Wasn't In Bucs Divorce / Ortiz Makes Hall, But Final Denial Of Bonds, Clemsn A Shame on Voters, Baseball / and Mahomes-Allen Air Show A Reminder How Much Better Dolphins And Tua Need To Be.
Select other most recent columns: Time Is Right (But Running Out) For MLB to Reinstate Pete Rose /'There Was A Pall On Us': The Panthers Season That Would Not Be Derailed / No-Vaccine Is Your Right. But There Are Consequences as Djokovic Was Reminded / State Of Miami Sports: Every Major Team, Graded Top To Bottom /Dolphins Firing of Flores The Unjustified Travesty Of A Clown-Show Owner / Canes Land Grand Prize In Cristobal, So No Excuses Left. New Glory Days A Must and 50 Years At the Herald For Me -- And a Lifetime Of Gratitude.
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (JANUARY 30-31): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive Sunday-into-Monday feature is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. The latest HB10:
1. NFL:It's a Bengals-Rams Super Bowl!: Bengals upset Chiefs 27-24 Sunday for the AFC crown and then Rams topped 49ers 20-17 for the NFC title to set up a Cincinnati-Los Angeles Super Bowl on February 13 in the Rams' home stadium. That factors into L.A. as an early 3 1/2-point favorite. Rams were in the SB as recently as it in 2018 but have bot win since 1999 (as the St. Louis Rams). Cincy was last in SB in 1988 and has never won. Cinderella + Cincinnati = Cinderatti! (Patent pending).
2. NFL: Tom Brady retires after 22 season, 7 Super Bowl rings: xxxESPN reported it Saturday. Others confirmed it. Brady's own company, TB12, seemed to before deleting gthe tweet. Now his camp is saying "no decision yet." Bank it, though. The G.O.A.T. will make it official after the NFL playoffs end. Most TDs, most passing yards, most Super Bowls. Any questions?
3. DOLPHINS: Ouch! Fins lost top coach-candidate Daboll to Giants: Miami has been very deliberate in its head coach search. Problem is, wirh eight other openings, available gjuys are being snatched up. Example: Fins losing top candidate Brian Daboll, the Bills offensive coordinator, to the Giants -- a big loss. Top guys left appear to be OC's Kellen Moore of the Cowboys and Mike McDaniel of the 49ers.
4. OLYMPICS: Host's human-rights record, COVID loom as Beijing Games Winter Games begin: The Olympic Winter Games begin this Friday in Beijing, China and run 17 days through February 20. The U.S. has a diplomatic boycott but its athetes will compete. Norway is predicted to lead the medals table followed by the ROC (Russia) and Germany. After that comes Team USA pegged for seven gold medals, 22 overall.
5. TENNIS: Electric championship finish redeems Australian Open: Year's first tennis major was minus plenty of starpower, but the two winners crowned were movie-script perfect: Rafael Nadal rallying from two sets down to Daniil Medvedev for his record-setting 21st career Grand Slam title, breaking the tie with Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. After Ashleigh Barty became the first Aussie woman to win in Melbourne since Yvonne Goolagong in 1978.
6. INTER MIAMI: Date set for vote on Miami Freedom Park plan: Nothing moves fast in 3-0-5 politics, but a February 23 date has been set for Miami-Dade to vote whether to go ahead with or scrap plans for MLS team Inter Miam's proposed 73-acre commercial and professional sports complex featuring a new soccer stadium. Three days after the vote, Inter Miami opens its third season at what it hopes is its temporary home in Fort Lauderdale.
7. HURRICANES: Cristobal hoping for big NSD finish to recruiting: National Siging Day in college football is this Wednesday, though not the splash it used to be since there is now early signing day in December. UM's first class under mew coach Mario Cristobal is ranked 49th nationally by ESPN and ninth in the ACC led by TE Jaleel Skinner and CB Khamauri Rogers but should climb with new signings this week.
8. MLB: Ortiz gets Hall call, but end of line for Bonds, Clemens: Red Sox icon David "Big Papi" Ortiz was the lone former player inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, with Barry Bonds and Roger Clemsn falling short in their 10th and final year pf eligibility, and Alex Rodriguez way short in his first year on the ballot. The reminder from voting BBWAA baseball wrters: Steroids and Cooperstown do not mix.
9. HEAT: Miami sets out on road trip awaiting All-Star nods: Heat is 32-18 and atop the East even after Saturday's 124-120 triple-OT home loss to Toronto -- despite Jimmy Butler's 37 points. NBA All-Star Game reserves to be announced Thursday, with Butler, Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro all in the mix. Miami sets out on a five-game roadie starting Monday in Boston.
10. PANTHERS: Cats sailing, but challenge to be better on road looms: Florida is 31-9-5 and atop the NHL East after Saturday's 5-4 home win over San Jose, but Panthers will be road-tested much of the rest of the way. Cats are a surreal 23-3 at home but only 8-6-5 away, and play 22 of their last 37 games on the road including the next five straight starting Monday at Columbus.
Missing the HB10 cut: USMNT faces Canada today/Sunday in a top-of-the-table showdown in the middle of three winter CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches in seven days. U.S. began the stretch with a 1-0 win over El Salvador the table. Five matches for remain in WC qualifying ..... Canes men's basketball (16-5) continues atop the ACC at 8-2 entering a Wednesday visit by Notre Dame. UM women are 11-7/4-4 and host No. 5 Louisville Tuesday ..... LeBron James and Kevin Durant again were named captains for this year's NBA All-Star Game February 20 in Cleveland. All-Star reserves, selected by coaches in both conferences, will be unveiled Thursday ..... Though the MLB lockout continues, threatening the start of spring training, the Marlins' Minor League Development Camp is this Tuesday through Friday up in Jupiter. The organization’s top prospects will be in attendance, incuding pitchers Eury Perez, Max Meyer and Dax Fulton ..... Saturday's NFLPA Collegiate Bowl began the spate of postseason showcase games. Upcoming: East-West Shrine Bowl this Thursday, Reese's Senior Bowl next Saturday and HBCU Legacy Bowl February 19 ..... The Pro Bowl is next Sunday. Get ready to not watch ..... The Greg Cote Show podcast is back with a new episode out Monday at 7 a.m. ..... Update: Countdown now 1,611 days (give or take) until Miami hosts its first match in soccer's 2026 World Cup.
-- * -- * -- * -- * -- * -- * --
Select other recent columns: Dolphins Win, Finish 9-8, Now Must Commit To Build Around Tua / Why Saban 'What-If' Still Haunts Miami 15 Years later / No Playoffs And No Idea Yet On Tua Worst Possible Way For Dolphins To End Season / Revealing My 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot / Georgia Crushes Michigan in OB. The Bad News? 'Bama Next / Party, Meet Hangover: Tua, Dolphins Out Of Playoff Chase With Loss at Titans / Hey, America, After 7th Straight Win, Do Miami Dolphins Have Your Attention Yet? / Duuuuuke Lifts Fins to 6th Straight Win, .500 / / UM Legend Frank Gore Talks NFL Future, Cristobal, Boxing As He Prepes For Ring Debut / Tua Keeps Showing Dolphins How Silly They Were To Doubt Him So Soon / UM And Blake James Parted Ways With Class -- Which Butch Davis Didn't Get From FIU / How Miami Dolphins Are Poised to Transform Their 1-7 Start Into Playoff Contention / Dolphins' Watson Lust Ruined Season, Damaged Tua. And That Starts With Owner Ross / Quenneville Rightly Sacked as Panthers Coach Over 2010 Chicago Scandal / As Dolphins' Dysfunction Surrounds Him, 10 Ways Tua Is The Unluckiest Man On Earth / State of the Art: Heat, Miami's Best-Run Franchise, Sails In Opener / 'Time to Hunt': Cats' Hyped Season Off to Wild, Winning Start / Dolphins Fans, Ex-Players Gather For Emotional Farewell to Don Shula, Father of the Glory Days / If Sports Had A Spine, Kyrie Irving & Other Anti-Vaxxers Wouldn't Be Playing / Kyle Lowry Must Channel 'Doctor Of Greatness' If Heat Is To Chase NBA Title / Fairy Tale With Wrong Ending: Remembering Jose Fernandez 5 Years Later / Why It's Too Soon, And Dumb, To Quit On Tua As Dolphins Answer / Year Of Reckoning, And Impatience, For Slow-Starting Dolphins & Canes / Hope And Hype Are Sky-High. Time For Florida Panthers To Finally Deliver / Miami Herald's 2021 NFL Team Rankings: You Won't Believe Where Dolphins are / Why Dolphins, Canes Should Be Taking Lead In Requiring Fans To Be COVID-Vaccinated / An Appreciation of Udonis Haslem As He Re-Ups For 19th Heat Season / Unraveled: The Story Behind Who Aubrey Huff Became / College Football and FSU Lose a Treasure In Passing Of Bobby Bowden / Biggest Victory Of Hall Of Famer Jimmy Johnson's Life Was Getting His Son Back / Biles' Withdrawal For Mental-Health Reasons Merits Empathy, Not Scorn / Where Dolphins Rank Among Teams With Longest Championship Droughts / Dolphins Owner Ross Unveils New $135 Million Training Site As Another Reason Team Must Win Now / Hot Seat Scale: Ranking Miami's Biggest Coaches By Most to Least Job Security / May Sha'Carri Richardson Be Last Victim Of Olympics' Archaic Marijuana Rules / 'I'm D'Eriq King For College Hunks Hauling Junk!' It's Strange New World in College Sports / Nassib Coming Out As Gay NFL Player A Milestone In Sports History / Fate Snatched Basketball From Chris Bosh. His new Book Is Part of His Journey Of Healing / Where's Tua? Ranking Our Top 15 South Florida Pro Athletes 25 And Younger / Pythons, Peppers, Pirate Flag Raised. Inside Le Batard's 24-Hour Triumph / Le Batard Bet On Himself And His Audience -- And Won Big / Justice For George Floyd Helps Heal Our Shaken Faith, But Fight For Equality Goes On / In History And In Hearts, Howard Schnellenberger Will Matter For All Time / Women Keep Accusing Deshaun Watson of Sexual Misconduct. But Will It Matter to NFL Teams? / Reality, Loss, Comeback: How Sports Has Been Guiding Light In America's Awful Past Year / Beckham's Resolve Tested By Tumult As Inter Miami Nears 2nd MLS Season / Time-Travelling To 1960s And Childhood, When The Baseball Card Was King / Doesn't Matter If Tiger Woods Never Wins Again. We Are Lucky He's Alive / Final Herald NFL 2020 QB Rankings / Marlins Hit History-Making Home Run With Kim NG Hire As GM / In a Pandemic-Battered Season For FIU, Butch Davis' Love Of Coaching Survives / Don Shula, 1930-2020, R.I.P. / What Shula Meant to a Father & Son. The Boy Was Me.
Revisit this blog often because it updates regularly. The Associated Press Sports Editors writing awards ranked the blog's author a Top 10 national sports columnist in the major-outlet category. Greg is also a regular on the Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz.
Finding Greg: Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Columns. Podcast. Podcast on Twitter. Podcast on Instagram. LeBatard Show. Book: Fins At 50. Songs: Letting Go (audio only) and The Ballad Of 1440 (with video).