Latest Hot Button Top 10 (updated): See who's No. 1 and what falls where on this week's list; plus El Clasico Miami rises to expectations (with our column), HB Daily (Mon) & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND.
1) It is MONDAY, JULY 31. Thank you, July. All-Star Game to El Clasico, you've been a month we won't forget. 2) It's Dolphins time! Know any die-hard Dolfans? Delight them with our book on club's first half-century. Learn more or order at Fins At 50. 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): El Clasico goes sans Ronaldo, Dolphins 'offensive arsenal' ranked No. 3 in NFL as camp opens, Jarvis Landry named Fins' biggest star & more. 4) Join us on Twitter @gregcote. Also Facebook, Instagram, Periscope and Snapchat.
MY EL CLASICO COLUMN: RONALDO MISSED A HECK OF A GAME: The absence of Real Madrid star Ronaldo was glaring, unfortunate and unnecessary, but Barcelona and Real lived up to billing anyway in a scintillating 3-2 Barca win last night that filled hard Rock Stadium for the rivals' first-ever U.S. meeting. Click on He Missed a Heck Of a Game for my column from the game. Here are my three previous columns on Miami's biggest soccer week ever: Juventus, PSG Entertain As Decisions Loom (from Wednesday's match; It Began With An Accidental Infatuation (how the seed was Joe Robbie's unlikely love of soccer; and World-Sized Spectacle (perspective on magnitude of Miami hosting El Clasico).
Latest Dolphins column: Higher hopes, higher heat: Going from good to great is harder than going from mediocre to good. That is the Dolphins' challenge as 2017 training camp unfurls. I explore in my latest Fins column. Click on The Uncommon Pressure On the Miami Dolphins to read.
HOT BUTTON TOP 10 (UPDATED): WHAT SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT: Our blog-exclusive every-Sunday feature, updated Mondays, is part week-in-review, part look-ahead. Hot Button means what's on our minds, locally and nationally, but from a Miami perspective, as the sports week just past pivots to the week ahead. This week's HB10:
1. SOCCER: Barcelona 3, Real Madrid 2 caps huge soccer week in Miami: El Clasico filled Hard Rock Stadium Saturday night with scintillating soccer as futbol titans and mega-rivals Barca and Real lit it up in their historic, first-ever U.S. meeting. The big question leading up to the match? Forget “Where's Waldo?” It was "Where's Ronaldo!?" Alas, the answer: Not in Miami. Shoulda been here but guess what. Match was so great, we barely missed him.
2. DOLPHINS: Buoyant Fins aiming high as training camp unfurls: ESPN ranking of NFL “offensive arsenals” this week listed Dolphins a lofty No. 3 overall. Mediocre to-good is easy; now the pressure is building on the Fins to go good-to-great. How will they handle it? We find out together.
3. HURRICANES: QB battle center-stage as UM opens camp: As FIU stags its third fall workday of Butch Davis era today, Canes are poised for first fall practice on Tuesday as Mark Rich Year II unfurls. Hopes are high but much depends on open quarterback spot. Malik Rosier? Evan Shirreffs? Maybe true freshman N'Kosi Perry? Whomever wins, inexperience will lead UM.
4. MARLINS: Sale talks stalling at trade deadline: With closer A.J. Ramos dealt to Mets, Monday is MLB trade deadline as Fish saw four-game win streak end Sunday and continue six-game homestand. Meanwhile Jeffrey Loria's sale of club continues to not get done. Dear Jeff: You wanted what you wanted, now the market has responded. Wanna sell? Lower the price!
5. MIAMI FC: NASL club hosts U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal: NASL's Miami FC hosts USL's FCF Cincinnati Wednesday night at FIU in duel of underdogs for a spot in the U.S. Open Cup semifinals. Following Barca-Real, call this one El Pequeno Clasico.
6. HEAT: Miami denies offer for Irving, but...: ESPN's NBA expert Adrian Wojnarowski identified the Heat among six teams that have made offers to Cleveland for Kyrie Irving. The Heat in turn publicly denied they have made an offer. Hmm. I'll side with Woj, thanks.
7. USMNT: U.S. wins Gold Cup championship: U.S. Men's National Team kept its record perfect under new coach Bruce Arena by beating Jamaica 2-1 to win the CONCACAF Gold Cup championship, a regional but notable international title.
8. MLB: Hall of Fame celebrates Induction Weekend in Cooperstown: Speeches came Sunday as Jeff Bagwell, Pudge Rodriguez and Tim Raines headed the Cooperstown Class of '17. Pudge and Raines played for Marlins but not long enough to go in as Fish. So they're dead to me!
9. UFC: Jon Jones makes most of comeback vs. Daniel Cormier: UFC 214 looked a good one Saturday night and saw Jones return from a one-year suspension with a third-round TKO over Cormier, with Jones reclaiming the light-heavyweight title he held from 2011-15.
10. NFL: Dire results in new study on brain injuries: A new study found a sample of 111 brains of former NFL players showed 100 with evidence of CTE injury. Asterisk: They were donated brains from families who strongly suspected their loved ones were impaired. Sort of like doing a study of cancer patients and discovering 99.9 percent had cancer.
Missing the HB10 cut: As a new lawsuit impedes his stadium progress, David Beckham heard Stephen Ross throw shade on an MLS team's likelihood of success in Miami. Beckham still hopes to field a team by the end of the decade. We need to start asking, "What decade, exactly?" ..... LaVar Ball had an AAU female referee replaced mid-game after she gave him a technical. The good news? I won my bet that LaVar could not go an entire week without embarrassing himself ..... USC said paroled O.J. Simpson would not be welcome on the sideline or at Trojans events, surprising absolutely nobody ..... Rangers' Adrian Beltre got ejected from the on-deck circle. Congrats, Adrian, for redefining how to be an idiot ..... Answer: There's a Monster Jam next weekend at the Sunrise arena. Question: What is maybe the most ridiculous motorsports event on Earth? ..... Thursday there's a $2 million prize in a 5-on-5 challenge called The Basketball Tournament. Dear organizers: How 'bout you take some of that money and buy your event an actual name ..... Answer: Ravens just signed barely known arena-league QB David Olson. Question: "Why do people keep saying Colin Kaepernick is being blackballed?" ..... There are reports a $10 million cricket franchise is coming to South Florida, surprising analysts who were unaware there were cricket franchises.
HOT BUTTON DAILY: MON 7-31-17: Today's sports events of most interest in SoFla:
1. Washington at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.: Fish play 1st of 3 vs. NL East power.
2. MLB trade deadline, 4 p.m.: And then the dealin's done.
3. Dolphins training camp, ongoing: Fins' 5th open-to-public workout in Davie.
4. FIU football practice, ongoing: Third fall workday of Butch Davis era.
Select other recent columns -- Blockbuster Would Be Slumpbuster for Riley (on Kyrie Irving-to-Heat possibility). Paroled But Not Free (O.J. SImpson). Don't Hold Your Breath (LeBron/Wade return to Miami. An Ageless Wonder, Even In Defeat (Venus Williams' Wimbledon run). Also: All-Star Week Proves Miami's Baseball Potential as Loria Era Ebbs. The Gentleman-Athlete Earned Our Thanks. Heat Lose Twice On Hayward. Bam Is Due Benefit Of Doubt. Make Fun of the Farce, But You'll Watch. No Parade In Sight. A Fall From Greatness And From Grace. NFL's Moral Obligation. The Dolphins' Eight Ifs. Home Run For Miami. The Jose Statue's Positive Purpose. An American Tragedy. History Breathes at UM Sports Hall. Is There A Team Brave Enough for Kaepernick?. Thank You, Mae Riback. A Ghost Tour of Miami's Sports Past. The Miracle of Liberty City. Thank You, Edwin Pope.
Revisit our blog often because we update and add to our latest posts throughout the day.