The 'Random Evidence' notes column returns with the shame of Margaret Court leading off; plus the new Back In My Day (Privileged Pets), your Mayweather-McGregor verdict, Hot Button Daily (Wed) & more
GREG COTE'S RANDOM EVIDENCE BLOG: MIAMI. SPORTS. AND BEYOND.
1) It is WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21. Happy Summer Solstice, all! 2) Know any Dolfans? Surprise them with our book on club's first half-century. Learn more or order at Fins At 50. 3) In The Previous Blogpost (ITPB): Mayweather vs. McGregor with poll, Hot Button Top 10, your next-Miami-champion verdict & more. 4) Join us on Twitter @gregcote. Also Facebook, Instagram, Periscope and Snapchat.
The new Back in My Day: Privileged Pets: Click on Privileged Pets for yesterday's LeBatard Show podcast and scroll to the 51:30 mark for the start of the new BIMD.
THE RETURN OF 'RANDOM EVIDENCE OF A CLUTTERED MIND' NOTES COLUMN: For many years ending in 2015 I penned a popular Sunday notes column called “Random Evidence of a Cluttered Mind” (from which the name of this blog derived). Tuesday, in a new form and on an occasional basis, Random returned after a two-year hiatus with a mixture of serious and fun across all sports. The inaugural topics:
* This week's Heat draft and why I disagree with most mocks.
* The Panthers' big gamble in exposing Jonathan Marchessault to expansion draft.
* The U.S. Open champion's notable girlfriend (Attack Of the 50-Foot Cheerleader).
* Marlins' home hotness reaches 11-2 run last night.
* Quantifying high hopes for UM football, men's basketball.
* And Quick Hits featuring Mayweather-McGregor fight, Cristiano Ronaldo, Jim Harbaugh, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Colin Kaepernick and Pete Rose.
Click on Random Evidence: The Shame of Margaret Court to read the comeback column in its entirety.
POLL RESULT: MOST SAY THEY WON'T WATCH MAYWEATHER-MCGREGOR: We asked if you plan to watch the newly confirmed Aug. 26 Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight, and it was 59.8 percent "no" to 40.2% "yes." The fight is expected to break records for pay-per-view revenue.
HOT BUTTON DAILY: WED 6-21-17: Today's sports events of most interest to SoFla fans:
1. Washington at Marlins, 12:10 p.m.: Rubber game of 3-game NL East series.
2. NHL announcement show, 8 p.m.: Award winners, Vegas expansion picks revealed.
3. College World Series, 7 p.m.: FSU in elimination game vs. LSU.
Select other recent columns: Make Fun of the Farce, But You'll Watch, from Sunday, on Mayweather vs. McGregor. No Parade In Sight: None of our Big 5 teams seems close to a championship. A Fall From Greatness And From Grace: Latest in Tiger Woods saga. Harris Vs. Fins' Draft Drought: High hopes for top pick Charles Harris. What's Next, Marlins?: Easy to say blow up the Fish, but harder (and not smart) to do. Big Risk For Big Upside: On chance Heat could land Harry Giles in NBA Draft. NFL's Moral Obligation: League must do more for brain-injury sufferers like Buoniconti and Kiick. The Dolphins' Eight Ifs: Explaining dichotomy of opinion on Fins. On The Team's Terms, Not His: What it would take for Heat/Dwyane Wade reunion. The Kid From Pampa: Why Dolphin draft's late rounds matter. Home Run For Miami: Bush/Jeter group as frontrunner to buy Marlins. The Jose Statue's Positive Purpose: Controversy over Marlins' planned Fernandez memorial. An American Tragedy: Suicide of Aaron Hernandez. History Breathes at UM Sports Hall: Tour of a little-known campus gem. Is There A Team Brave Enough for Kaepernick?: A curiously unemployed QB. Also: Thank You, Mae Riback, A Ghost Tour of Miami's Sports Past, The Miracle of Liberty City, Thank You, Edwin Pope.
Revisit our blog often because we update and add to our latest posts throughout the day.